Strymon El Cap Haters

• Members

Cornish:

problem_HCFX.jpg

Seriously, though, I love the El Cap. Probably my favorite delay. i don't care what it's supposed to sound like or if it does. It sounds good.

• Members

I'm certainly not an El Capistan hater - I think it's a solid pedal - but if you're looking for alternatives, the first one that comes to mind is the
Skreddy Echo

This.

I've never owned a Strymon but I will never sell my Skrecho. It's the best delay ever in my opinion and I own an EP3.

• Members

I own and have owned a bunch of delays. Phil's right, the Skrecho is awesome. That and the El Cap are both on my board now. The VMSD is pretty sweet - very versatile. If money wasn't an issue, I'd have kept mine. I was really looking for a good tape emulation and the Skrecho and El Cap beat it out. I also recently got a Big Box DMM - can't go wrong there.

• Members

I own and have owned a bunch of delays. Phil's right, the Skrecho is awesome. That and the El Cap are both on my board now. The VMSD is pretty sweet - very versatile. If money wasn't an issue, I'd have kept mine. I was really looking for a good tape emulation and the Skrecho and El Cap beat it out. I also recently got a Big Box DMM - can't go wrong there.

Skrecho and an El Cap? How do you utilize both?

• Members

I haven't played the El Cap, but I have a timeline and I can tell you that the EQD disaster transport is in the same league as the strymon for tape sounds.

Is the Disaster Transport more like a straight analog style delay (DM2, Carbon Copy) or more for those trying to cop tape sounds?

• Members

Is the Disaster Transport more like a straight analog style delay (DM2, Carbon Copy) or more for those trying to cop tape sounds?

the tone control allows it to go from dmm-ish to tape-ish. although i wouldn't call it a tape style delay as far as the purists are concerned. the added feature of modulation is really handy too.

• Members

the el cap sounds fine but its very boring. It sounds like a digital delay to me :idk: Didn't give me much "tape" vibe at all. Too clean, too neat. I didn't care for the modulation or reverb all that much either. It did this weird thing where the sound would cut out when you tapped a tempo in and apparently that is normal :|

Not a hater, but do not understand the hype at all.

• Members

the el cap sounds fine but its very boring. It sounds like a digital delay to me
:idk:
Didn't give me much "tape" vibe at all. Too clean, too neat. I didn't care for the modulation or reverb all that much either. It did this weird thing where the sound would cut out when you tapped a tempo in and apparently that is normal :|

Not a hater, but do not understand the hype at all.

The tap tempo thing could definitely be annoying. Fortunately for me I hardly ever use tap tempo. Anyway, I'm surprised you thought it sounded too clean. I mean, compared to a DMM it's way clean, yes, but what I really like about it is the tape damage you can dial in with the secondary function of the wow and flutter knob. I really like the texture that gives to the repeats as they fade out combined with just a little bit of the reverb. Gives a nice wash of sound i find.

The otehr thing I like about the el cap is that you can turn up the bias secondary function to the point where any oscillation or near oscillation in the background doesn't overtake the main signal. I find overall all of these things make it work really well in front of a dirty amp.

• Members

I've owned quite a few including the el capistan and I think the VMSD really is the best. I prefer it to the skrecho although I think that is nice also.

Yeah, of the pedals I owned that were supposed to emulate tape echo (DD20, TimeBender, RE20), the VMSD was the best overall pedal. It's tape settings were really nice (but couldn't hang w/ the El Cap or Skrecho IMO), and the other settings were great. And it has a looper. So overall, IMO, if you're looking for a pedal that covers a lot of ground, and you really want a tape echo sound, the VMSD had the most "convincing" tape echo sound compared to those mentioned above. But I was really going for a more authentic tape emulation so I kept the Skrecho and El Cap. I wish I could have justified keeping it given it's cost (on top of the costs of the other delays), but I don't have TGP money so something had to go. I'd get another one if I ever saw it for the right price, though. It was a really useful tool.

• Members

I used to own a Skreddy Echo, would have kept it if I weren't so poor. I do miss it at times, but the El Capistan usually does satisfy my delay needs.

On the other hand, I just saw this last night, and while it's not being advertised as a tape style delay, I think it sounds great and shares some of the same sounds of a tape echo.

[video=youtube;yImAn0iqyVs]

• Members

I haven't played the El Cap, but I have a timeline and I can tell you that the EQD disaster transport is in the same league as the strymon for tape sounds.

the Timeline dTape mode (same as the 'Single' head mode on the El Cap) isn't in the same league as the 'Fixed' and 'Multi' head settings on the El Cap. those modes (missing from the Timeline) are much better for the "authentic" tape sound that everyone wants. the Timeline dTape mode isn't that great at all.

just traded my El Cap plus cash for a Timeline. the Timeline is great, but i still want another El Cap for those sounds.

• Members

Only that it has just 400ms of delay, a tad short. And pricey at $375

Does seem pricey, but it sounds pretty awesome to me. So of someone's looking for that sound, it'd be worth it.

Archived