Roland RD700GX ivory key wear

Steve Rose

• Members

I am just back from GC. I played with the Yamaha CP-300 and the Roland RD700-GX. I also played the RD300 and the FP7. The Yamaha keys felt pretty good but the Roland RD700 felt more realistic. In fact the Roland felt more like my piano teacher's Weber (Steinway's entry level brand) baby grand than my inexpensive entry level upright piano (Everett). The RD300 and FP7 felt more plastic-like and lighter that the RD700. I thought that the sound of the Yamaha pianos sounded sorta weak through the built-in speakers; the sound was much weaker than my XS6 through my Carvin PA (no monitors at home yet) and no contest vs the XS6 through my Beyerdynamic phones. I think the problem is probably the speakers and not the piano sounds, but since you are paying a lot for the speakers it is a major drawback IMHO. We (me and the sales guy) tried tweaking the piano EQ on the Yamaha to improve the sound and it helped a bit but not enough to change my mind. The Rolands were going through some small powered monitors (Maudio I think) pointed horizontally at me and not up from the piano case and sounded better.

I played with the action on the RD700 quite a bit, trying different levels of touch, playing some of my finger exercises that require me to play keys that are next to each other rapidly, scales, etc., and the action and level of control felt really good to me. Once again I would say it actually feels better than my entry-level acoustic piano. I tried the default EP's that were set on the front panel (you can adjust and program your own fast presets) and enjoyed the sound quite a bit. This would be a major plus for me as I am just starting to get into the fake book popular music and jazz playing as part as my lessons (added on to the core classical stuff) and I think it would be a blast to practice that stuff using EP sounds.

Some minor detracting points for the Roland are that the four small knobs felt really flimsy, especially for the only knobs on the panel other than the data wheel. I would think that a 2500 dollar board with only 4 knobs would have some really sturdy-feeling knobs. Since there are lots of people who play this unit and gig with it and haul it around a lot, my guess is the knobs are tougher than they feel but still.. Also there is only one mod-lever thing (not a wheel) while the Yamaha has two standard mod wheels that are similar if not the same as the mod wheels on the XS series. I'm not sure if I will care about that in the future or not.

The Pro Audio manager at GC told me there is a 10% off coupon for any one item coming in the May mail and email soon. Also he was willing to put together a package with some extra stuff to sweeten the deal a bit though he can't give anything off MAP unless price matching (as we discussed elsewhere). I am really thinking that I might go for the Roland when the coupon arrives. I have about a half of the cash in my paypal account now. The rest will have to come from selling some other stuff.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I am just back from GC. I played with the Yamaha CP-300 and the Roland RD700-GX. I also played the RD300 and the FP7. The Yamaha keys felt pretty good but the Roland RD700 felt more realistic. In fact the Roland felt more like my piano teacher's Weber (Steinway's entry level brand) baby grand than my inexpensive entry level upright piano (Everett). The RD300 and FP7 felt more plastic-like and lighter that the RD700. I thought that the sound of the Yamaha pianos sounded sorta weak through the built-in speakers; the sound was much weaker than my XS6 through my Carvin PA (no monitors at home yet) and no contest vs the XS6 through my Beyerdynamic phones. I think the problem is probably the speakers and not the piano sounds, but since you are paying a lot for the speakers it is a major drawback IMHO. We (me and the sales guy) tried tweaking the piano EQ on the Yamaha to improve the sound and it helped a bit but not enough to change my mind. The Rolands were going through some small powered monitors (Maudio I think) pointed horizontally at me and not up from the piano case and sounded better.

I played with the action on the RD700 quite a bit, trying different levels of touch, playing some of my finger exercises that require me to play keys that are next to each other rapidly, scales, etc., and the action and level of control felt really good to me. Once again I would say it actually feels better than my entry-level acoustic piano. I tried the default EP's that were set on the front panel (you can adjust and program your own fast presets) and enjoyed the sound quite a bit. This would be a major plus for me as I am just starting to get into the fake book popular music and jazz playing as part as my lessons (added on to the core classical stuff) and I think it would be a blast to practice that stuff using EP sounds.

Some minor detracting points for the Roland are that the four small knobs felt really flimsy, especially for the only knobs on the panel other than the data wheel. I would think that a 2500 dollar board with only 4 knobs would have some really sturdy-feeling knobs. Since there are lots of people who play this unit and gig with it and haul it around a lot, my guess is the knobs are tougher than they feel but still.. Also there is only one mod-lever thing (not a wheel) while the Yamaha has two standard mod wheels that are similar if not the same as the mod wheels on the XS series. I'm not sure if I will care about that in the future or not.

The Pro Audio manager at GC told me there is a 10% off coupon for any one item coming in the May mail and email soon. Also he was willing to put together a package with some extra stuff to sweeten the deal a bit though he can't give anything off MAP unless price matching (as we discussed elsewhere). I am really thinking that I might go for the Roland when the coupon arrives. I have about a half of the cash in my paypal account now. The rest will have to come from selling some other stuff.

Thanks for the in depth analysis Gribs.

I decided to go for the Rd-700gx in the end after reading your review.

I managed to get 10% off from reverb-store.co.uk (just put sunburn in the voucher box at checkout)

Also, Roland are giving a three year extended warranty for free. Any probs with the keys in this time shouldn

• Members

Honestly I am shying away from the PC3X because I really don't want all the menu-diving and stuff, I just want something to play.

It would appear that you haven't tried out the PC3x yet, as there really isn't anymore menu diving on it than any other rompler for basic sounds. It is very tweekable, but only if you choose to do so. It is not a requirement to get very good basic sounds.

Rick

• Members

Thanks for the in depth analysis Gribs.

I decided to go for the Rd-700gx in the end after reading your review.

I managed to get 10% off from reverb-store.co.uk (just put sunburn in the voucher box at checkout)

Also, Roland are giving a three year extended warranty for free. Any probs with the keys in this time shouldn

• Members

Picking up my RD-700GX this weekend, I'm excited!

I used to have a grand piano growing up and missed it. Played in a band and then church with primarily Yamaha and Roland keybords.

I would love to have a gp again but I did not want to use up the extra space so an RD-700GX will fit fine.

I have my eyes on the V-piano but at $5K, I passed.

• Members

I got mine the other day, and love the key action and the sounds, and think it is a wonderful instrument.

However, the place i bought it from stated on their website that this keyboard has aftertouch.

After playing around with it, i find that it does not have aftertouch.

This is a problem for me, as i use aftertouch quite a lot in the songs i compose.

I will have to send this back, as it is not right for my needs.

Would they have to give my money back for false advertising?

If someone can confirm that it states aftertouch by going here:

http://www.reverb-store.co.uk/product-detail.asp?prod=2211

I would greatly appreciate it.

Many thanks

Mark.

• Members

...If someone can confirm that it states aftertouch by going here:

I would greatly appreciate it.

Many thanks

Mark.

The RD700GX does not have aftertouch. In looking at the add from the link, I would say that they just goofed and were not trying to mislead you. I would think that if aftertouch is a necessity for you, and since their website does state aftertouch as being a feature, then they would probably take it back; then again I didn't read through their terms so I could be wrong.

On the other hand, what about considering the use of an expression pedal assigned to modulation (CC#1). Then when you want to add modulation, simply do it with your foot. Just a suggestion that would solve your dilemma if you like everything else about the instrument.

Dave

• Members

II will have to send this back, as it is not right for my needs.

Would they have to give my money back for false advertising?

If someone can confirm that it states aftertouch by going here:

1) Make a screen print of that webpage and their posted error: "Aftertouch Y/N: Yes".

I am sure this is an unintentional error:

-- the Roland Fantom G8 (which uses the same PHA II "Ivory Feel" keybed) has aftertouch.

-- by contrast, the RD-700GX (with the same PHA II keybed) replaces the aftertouch feature with escapement (for more realistic piano action).

2) Under their Terms and Conditions

http://www.reverb-store.co.uk/terms.asp

12.4 If the goods are damaged/not working/mis-described:

-- 12.4.1 We will pay for the return carriage of goods that were damaged, not working, or mis-described.

-- 12.4.2 Once you have advised us that you are cancelling your contract, we will refund or credit you as soon as possible, and no later than 30 days from receipt of the returned goods.

Clearly this is a situation where they "mis-described" the item -- i.e. made an unintentional error in their listing.

Bottom line, if you call them up, point out the error, and point out you based your purchase on that information, they will allow you to return the keyboard, subject to the terms on the website -- i.e. you must return the item in "as new" condition (section 12)

• Members

On the other hand, what about considering the use of an expression pedal assigned to modulation (CC#1). Then when you want to add modulation, simply do it with your foot. Just a suggestion that would solve your dilemma if you like everything else about the instrument.

Dave

I am playing around with using an expression pedal with the RD-700GX (got mine on Friday) but more for stuff like turning up the Leslie effect speed on the organ patches. So far I am really liking the keyboard. I am using it almost exclusively for piano practice, but my son is farting around with the synth patches after he practices his piano material. He is actually begging to practice on it :D. I am making him practice on the acoustic piano for his core material then letting fart around on the RD as he pleases afterward.

• Members

WDMcM, and MartinHines; Thank you both so very much. I really appreciate you taking the time to help.

I have emailed Reverb-Store asking for them to pick the keyboard up, and a full refund. I now await a reply.

kind regards

Mark.

• Members

WDMcM, and MartinHines; Thank you both so very much. I really appreciate you taking the time to help.

I have emailed Reverb-Store asking for them to pick the keyboard up, and a full refund. I now await a reply.

kind regards

Mark.

Hi Mark,

It is my pleasure. Good luck in finding a keyboard that will fulfill your needs.

Dave

• 8 years later...
  • Members

I have recently purchased a used Roland Fantom G8 that had been used in a local church. Once I got the keyboard home and hooked up in my studio I soon noticed that the octave up and down from middle C had a slight rough feel to the keys and upon further inspection the keys should a wear ranging from about 1 inch from the edge of the key to 1 and a half inches and outside of an octave and a half from Middle C it diminishes down to no wear on the keys. It sounds similar to the original post of this thread about the Roland Key wear issue. I contacted Roland about it about a month ago and they said they were unaware of any excessive key wear with the Roland Fantom G8 line. He said I could replace the keys that have the wear on them but if I didn't replace them all which was rather expensive I feel it would only be a matter of time until the other keys showed wear. A couple questions I have. Is there any product that you can put on top of a key to give it the slick finish feel? Question 2 Are the keys from a Roland Fantom X8 and a G8 interchangeable? I have a Roland Fantom X8 that I have had for several years and its keyboard is showroom new compared to this G8. I can pick up a Roland Fantom x8 fairly cheap these days and would do it to switch keys if they are interchangeable. I have atleast 20 keyboards and have never experienced key wear like this. 2 Roland D50s 30+ yrs old, Roland Juno, Roland Juno Stage, Roland RD700, Roland RD800, Roland AX Syth, Yamaha Motif, Yamaha Motif XS6, Wurlitzer Electric, Nord Lead 2, Nord Electro 5D, Korg King Korg. Thanks for any information you can give me with the key wear issue.

Archived