Jeff Beck > SRV?

• Members

Settle a Disagreement for me.

Jeff Beck > SRV?

I think so.. but what do I know.. I wasn't even born for their primes as far as I know..

Please post me Videos or evidence to support as to why... (or why not):rolleyes:

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I actually saw the Beck/SRV tour in '89 a few months before SRV died.

Beck opened (this was 'Guitar Shop' era Beck w/Terry Bozzio on drums - holy balls). He turned a 20K seat arena into a 50 seat Jazz club - people were completely mesmerized by his playing - I've not seen that before or since. Jaw-dropping experience. He's one of those players who has complete command of every aspect of the instrument and the technique to do whatever he wants with it.

SRV came out and was great (I'd seen him 4x before this show and this was the best performance of all of them), but on a completely different level. He always played VERY loud and after awhile it all kinda starts to sound the same.

It's just no contest - Beck is a multi-dimensional thinker on the guitar and is proficient in so many styles and developed his own thing that is very different from everybody else. You hear Jeff Beck play guitar and NOBODY else sounds like him. You can't say that of SRV.

[video=youtube;2cLWO-8RBes]

I mean seriously.

• Members

How can one musician be 'better' than another?

I suppose you can make judgements about technique to a certain extent if you subscribe to the idea that better technique means more capacity for self-expression, but even that's shaky ground. I'd say that you can't make objective judgements about aesthetic matters.

Who would I rather listen to? Probably SRV. Beck is clearly the more versatile and in some ways the more interesting player, but I can't really bring myself to do more than to appreciate him as a "player's player". SRV is more fun to listen to.

• Members

You hear Jeff Beck play guitar and NOBODY else sounds like him. You can't say that of SRV.

To be fair to poor old Stevie, back then he had an original sound, and it isn't his fault that he's been so widely copied, and by such depressing players. For all the TGP nonsense and internet lore about how to get his toan, nobody really sounds like SRV either. The difference is that nobody even tries to sound like Jeff Beck.

• Members

I was actually thinking of Jeff's album "Who Else?" compared to the SRV album with "Crossfire" and "Tightrope" on it which I can never remember the name of.

SRV had some great moments. He was blues through and through. Even on the music he did for Bowie.

Jeff is always exploring and at the same time able to tribute others.

• Members

To be fair to poor old Stevie, back then he had an original sound, and it isn't his fault that he's been so widely copied, and by such depressing players. For all the TGP nonsense and internet lore about how to get his toan, nobody
really
sounds like SRV either. The difference is that nobody even
tries
to sound like Jeff Beck.

Hardly. He was copping Hendrix and Albert King and Hubert Sumlin. He did it loudly and made the Tube Screamer famous, so I guess that counts for something.

The reason why he was so popular amongst guitar players is that he was accessible, IMO.

• Members

SRV had some great moments. He was blues through and through. Even on the music he did for Bowie.

I'll have to dig it out of the closet, but I have the original GP mag with his first interview in it about doing the Let's Dance album. In it he says something like "I just listened and tried to make every Albert King lick I could think of fit the song." Paraphrasing of course, but even he admits it.

Archived