10K Posts + NGD!

• Members

IMGP7539.jpg

The Snax II is every bit as amazing I had hoped it would be.

I've actually had it for about a week now and even though I was a long time Axe FX Standard/Axe FX Ultra user (almost 3 years strong) I STILL feel like I'm learning new things this unit is capable of. Fractals provided documentation and exceptional customer support makes it super easy to get used to, it's honestly the sheer amount of features this thing has that is overwhelming rather than the actual usability.The major changes in the Axe FX II from the earlier versions are that this comes stock with USB, has an official preset editor, a lot more processing power, and external controls for easier preset editing. I already know this isn't for most people that post on HCFX but I truly feel like this is worth the price for the effects alone. Easily the best sounding, most flexible, and endlessly tweakable effects I have ever used.

The other stunning feature this has is called "Tone Matching" which basically allows you to stream an isolated guitar track into the Axe FX and it then matches that sound by creating an onboard impulse response. The first day I got it I effortlessly made my tele sound like a VERY convincing acoustic. I'm tweaking the preset to get it even closer but the fact the technology exists onboard is incredible.

I was expecting this to be a much more epic post but unfortunately my new rack hasn't arrived so expect an update when my whole digital setup is finished. I'll also post my pedalboard which I haven't done in a long time but I'm waiting on a few things for that as well :love:

PS - Notice that the Orange has the cover on it, might be that way for a while ;)

• Members

I give it 6 months, they all come back in the end
:D

This! But it does sound like an incredible piece of gear for sure. I just realize I don't need that many options/sounds/tones. But for those who do, this seems like a great way to go. Lots of pros using this these days.

• Members

I give you all 10,000 of my posts and this is what I get!? :lol:

I give it 6 months, they all come back in the end
:D

Nothing to come back to because my pedals and amps are safe.

The Axe is to fill the voids that my other gear have left such as high gain sounds, complex effects, and emulations. I just uploaded a few patches from the Fractal forum that include impressive violin, cello, and bass guitar sims :eek:

• Members

Why u need snax when u make killer pedals with yr own 2 hands?

This is a huge case of less need and more want. I regretted ever getting rid of my Axe FX Ultra and knew that if by time my name came up on the Axe FX II list I still wanted one then I should just suck it up and get one to kill the GAS. With pedals and my existing amps (Orange AD 30/Fender Super Champ XD) I can cover a hell of a lot of ground but for high gain sounds none of it can't touch the Axe FX. It really appeals to the effects addict in me as well because it has everything I could want PLUS the ability to create effects that literally don't exist. With all the different styles of music I listen to and play (it's not uncommon for me to listen to/play The Black Keys and Meshuggah in the same day) the endless tweakability and idea that I can truly have any sound I want is appealing.

I already know this isn't for most people that post on HCFX but I truly feel like this is worth the price for the effects alone. Easily the best sounding, most flexible, and endlessly tweakable effects I have ever used.

Riddle me this Batman - can it be used just for the effects? IOW, can I bypass the amp modeling and just use it as an effects processor in the studio (does it have line level input / output too?) and / or with an external tube amp?

Happy 10k Day to you good sir! :cool:

• Members

I already know this isn't for most people that post on HCFX but I truly feel like this is worth the price for the effects alone. Easily the best sounding, most flexible, and endlessly tweakable effects I have ever used.

Riddle me this Batman - can it be used just for the effects? IOW, can I bypass the amp modeling and just use it as an effects processor in the studio (does it have line level input / output too?) and / or with an external tube amp?

Happy 10k Day to you good sir!
:cool:

You sure can. A lot of the tube purist/rack effects guys run W/D/W rigs with the Axe FX doing the signal splitting and covering all of their effects. I know, generally, how this forum views amp modeling or high end modelers in general that's why I made it a point to emphasize the effects. I've been through too many effects pedals/rack units to list and this truly tops the list.

Here's a recent Moog-esque patch a Fractal Forumer posted http://www.simeonharris.co.uk/misc/moog_superlead_demo.mp3

Also, here's a screenshot of what the Axe FX Editor looks like :

untitled-1.jpg

Full control over the routability of all effects and signal routing.

• Members

Congrats, the axe II is really nice. I haven't messed with the toan matching. Actually I pretty much leave it on some kind of Marshall flavor like JCM800 or Brit Brown models and I'm straight.

• Members

Are you going with a power amp and traditional speaker cabinet again or FRFR? I've been loving the Atomic.

I'm going with a traditional power amp/cab (same ones I used with my last setup). I know it's not ideal but while I want the Atomic they are out of the standard 2x12 passive cab atm. Word on TGP is there's a new version coming out so I'll have to wait and see. The only downfall with the amp/cab setup is that I tweak my presets around that setup so running the same presets into my monitors sounds drastically different.

Give the tone match a try, I'm already impressed by it.

Actually , if you've got a minute load this preset : http://www.sendspace.com/file/3pq2xv

It's my Acoustic Sim that I made by tone matching the intro to Trains by Porcupine Tree (use the middle pickup position of a tele or similar)

• Members

Mark Day, lol. I haven't tried it but I imagine it sounds like an ENGL SE boosted with a metal zone. I've been plug and play with it since day 1, although it's been ages since I recorded anything so I haven't been too in depth with it.

• Members

I heard those Axe's consume quite a few posts today, good thing you have 10k ready for it to munch on. :)

Congrats on the purchase. It really looks like a great device.

I personally would like to hear what type of effects you use it for other than because of convenience (you feel you can't find that effect in a elsewhere in a pedal). I think you also mentioned you prefer the high gain it produces - what sets it apart from your amp(s) and various dirt boxes in your opinion?

The modeling I'm sure is very impressive. It would be neat to have that synthetic digi power on hand at all times.

Archived