Quick Cheap Fuzz Question

• Members

I can get a used Danelectro French toast for about the same price as a new Behringer SF300. They're both fuzzes and my only experience with a fuzz to this point was a Bass Big Muff that I no longer have. I'm mostly just banging out simple chords and don't play any leads or noodly parts.

I don't have much to spend right now, so that's why I'm looking at these two. Any suggestions on which one to go for?

• Members

Well............. both of those are amazing choices, really.

The Superfuzz is incredibly close to the Boss FZ-2. Sounds amazing BUT has terrible bypass, at least that should be fixed, but i'd recommend getting it TB'd and rehoused altogether. Problem is, if you run a clean signal it will {censored} it up just by having it in the chain, which sucks.

The French Toast is great too, but very different, and you won't have to worry about it crapping out on you OR about {censored}ty bypass.

Both will work great with simple chords, but "great" the way an octave fuzz is great. For example, if you have the Super Fuzz is more extreme settings, if you play more dissonant chords or chords with a lot of notes it could even go into ring mod territory and you'll {censored} up your signal in an horribly tasty way. With both i'd recommend sticking with root+5th chords unless you're into dissonant wackyness. The French Toast won't be as crazy, but it will still get crazy.

Totally different fuzz pedals, but don't forget they're both octave fuzzes, and they will have almost nothing in common with your old Big Muff. if you're looking for someone with a simpler, more "accessible" sound i'd say look into a Danelectro CC V1 Fuzz.

For the price though, if you can (the Behringer costs what... 20$?) there's no reason not to check out both. Just run them through a clean, loud amp and they'll both sound great in their own particular way.

• Members

Thanks for the info. I was planning on using it as part of a chain involving other pedals (Rat clone, overdrive, delay, and reverb), so if the Behringer's bypass is crap, then, that rules it out. I'm mainly playing through headphones using either a Pathfinder or a Mustang I (cleans on both).

• Members

i love the french toast, but realize it's quite an extreme fuzz. nasty and great. for reference, i use fuzz all the time, have used probably 30-40 different fuzzes over the past few years, but the french toast is the first one that has made my wife ask me why on earth i wanted my guitar to sound so messed up. "it sounds like what you get when you can't dial in a radio station", according to her.

• Members

to go from fuzzface to bigmuff without being extreme.

you can't actually make it sound like a Big Muff, not nearly enough gain or volume, and the tone circuit sounds very different.

it is a bit tweakable and has some good tones, especially for fuzzface-ish tones, but it's low on the volume department.

One last question, are these ok when using a PowerAll/One Spot? I'm using a PowerAll with the pedalboard (was hoping to avoid having to use batteries or some sort of special adapter).

I don't know about the Dano, but the French Toast should be fine on a One Spot - I run my Fish & Chips EQ on one with a bunch of other pedals without problems.

And FWIW, the French Toast gets my vote. Cool pedal. Low bucks. :cool:

• Members

Missed out on the French Toast at a local GC, but found another on CL. Quick question--was told that a new turn screw was needed for the backplate. Are these hard to find/unique? Or can any sort of screw be used to secure the back plate?

Archived