What OD or distortion do you guys like in front of a fender twin?

• Members

Hey guys

I've been making some good money gigging and am in need of a new OD or distortion pedal. Currently I'm running a full tone gt500 and tc dark matter in front of my twin. Maybe it's the settings on my twin, but I never find myself cutting through the mix unless I go bridge pickup. I can get a nice twang sound with the full tone, but it doesn't cut through so no one can really hear it.

Live sound is hard! Maybe my live ear just sucks...but who knows. I also have a lot of trouble getting my volume consistent...to get my cleans and OD to cut through the same amount is a serious challenge.

Anyways, looking at my board, I was wondering if I should look into some new OD. I play a Lot of stuff, which is probably why nailing down the perfect tone is tough. We go from Keith urban to Bon Jovi and everything between. Bc of that, it may be necessary to buy two pedals...which would be fine. Ill probably need to buy two pedals anyways so I can boost my solos. Was thinking about

Keeley tubescreamer

Keeley blues driver

Macon 808

Beyond that, not really sure where to go. What do you guys think?

• Members

I play a pro reverb, so a twin with less power.

Tubescreamers are classic companions, but I really just wanted something to dirty up my clean tone, rather than add its own sound. I use a Timmy for that. It sounds like your sond cranked, but the EQ is about backing off rather than adding - so when the bass gets flabby (as it does with twins) you can just ease it down. Great pedal.

If you really want to muck about with your EQ, try out an EHX graphic fuzz. Underrated and very flexible.

• Members

This may not apply to your situation, because my experience is with a bridge humbucker and somewhat higher gain settings, but i found a suhr riot and a twin to sound so heavenly together it was mind blowing. I sold my riot to a friend in a band i worked for and he used it with his twin. It was so awesome that i've been considering buying another riot and a twin to get that sound, and i'm pretty happy with my rig as is.

• Members

MXR Distortion+.

Hey, it worked for Steve Jones.
:idk:

haha no def not! this thing has too much high end that won't gel with the twin... and unitity volume with such a high headroom amp will be a problem..

Can be cool as a dirty pedal to put infront of another OD/preamp but alone into a clean twin results may vary hah

• Members

haha no def not! this thing has too much high end that won't gel with the twin... and unitity volume with such a high headroom amp will be a problem..

Can be cool as a dirty pedal to put infront of another OD/preamp but alone into a
clean
twin results may vary hah

There's your problem, son. You gotta dime the Twin.

• Members

Can be cool as a dirty pedal to put infront of another OD/preamp but alone into a clean twin results may vary hah

If its good enough for Rowland S. Howard, its definitely good enough for me. A Dist+ into a dimed Twin is Valhalla.

• Members

noone is ever diming a twin!

When I had a Twin, I almost always dimed it and controlled the volume with my guitar. For quiet gigs, I'd lower the amp volume to about 6 or 7. Sure, I had to back the guitar volume off quite a bit but it sounded better than running the amp on 2.

• Members

I have a Twin (that I haven't played in 3 years). Like most Fenders, the scooped-mids makes can get lost in the mix. Therefore, I run distortions that boost the mids, such as Tubescreamers and the clones thereof.

• Members

If you need a higher gain that works with the twin

OCD (compliments natural power tube distortion)

Rockbox Boiling Point (cranked Vox or Plexi sounds)

Wampler Plextortion (delivers a very focused, tight gain)

Maxon SD9 (more gain than an 808)

EH Metal Muff (really! I was surprised by this lower priced alternative)

I also agree with diming the Twin, use the level on the pedal and you will be liking what you hear.

Archived