As far as relics go...

IRG

• Members

I know they aren't popular here, various reasons, yada yada, but this Edwards one I do like, mostly because it isn't very relic'd, I like the sort of dull not polished nitro finish. Seymour Duncan Antiquities are quite nice in this guitar too. I have bad LP gas again. Love my Epi Tribute, but sort of want a more traditional finish (mine is black with see through grain).

conv0001.jpg

• Members

Here's another one, a little bit cheaper, but not much, and it has Seymour Duncan SH55 pickups in them. Nice too, but the shiny finish doesn't appeal to me as much.

conv0002.jpg

• Members

you're right, relic'd guitars aren't popular here.

I gotta ask though, what is it about the pre-aged guitar that is the draw? Whats wrong with buying a new guitar and letting it age as naturally as it is going to based on how the owner treats the instrument... Im not in favor of pristine instruments per say, some character goes a long way and every scratch / nic in my guitars is earned and "tells a story" etc... I mean I am someone who creates faux moods / back rounds / and ages the {censored} out of sets / props / stuff on the daily for my job and a relic'd guitar just screams wannabe.

• Members

I like how the first one is faded, but not so much the wear on the body. But, it's slight enough where it doesn't bother me like some of those Fenders that are just beat to crap. IMO, those are stupid.

• Members

relic'd guitars are usually liked and bought by the average salaryman that likes real vintage guitars look, but has not the time or even the will to buy a new guitar and play the hell out of it. So they take a shortcut. Bad thing is these relic'd guitars usually look so fake and cheesy. I would also feel like I'm cheating myself if I bought a guitar that has been road worn'd on purpose.

Said that, these doesn't look relic'd on purpose, more like a satin finish, apart from the damn glossy finish some guitars have .. they look really good.

• Members

This is how it should be done. NICE AND SUBTLE.
In fact, you could even do away with the "body wear" - that always looks "fake" to me because I know guys with 30 year old guitars that have been played a ton that still don't have that kind of body wear on them. Dulled a bit? Yes. Metal discolored? Yes. Fading, nicks, cigarette burns? YES - but no real body wear.

you're right, relic'd guitars aren't popular here.

I gotta ask though, what is it about the pre-aged guitar that is the draw? Whats wrong with buying a new guitar and letting it age as naturally as it is going to based on how the owner treats the instrument... Im not in favor of pristine instruments per say, some character goes a long way and every scratch / nic in my guitars is earned and "tells a story" etc... I mean I am someone who creates faux moods / back rounds / and ages the {censored} out of sets / props / stuff on the daily for my job and a relic'd guitar just screams wannabe.

Other than one guitar that I built as a "relic", all my guitars have honest wear on 'em. They're not case queens, but they're all in pretty good shape. I don't obsess, but I take good care of my tools.

You watch - in 2032, it's going to be hard to find unmolested, unmodified and un-reliced 20-30 year old guitars. And since these things tend to go in cycles, by then, people are going to want the less worn looking vintage guitars. I'll be sitting on a goldmine! ;)

IMHO, the one area where a relic could out-play a new guitar? The neck, and especially the fingerboard edges. They get rounded and worn over as the guitar is played, and if that is replicated on a new neck, it would definitely affect the "feel" of the guitar. It be easy to over-do and mess up too, so if anyone has any ideas and decides to give it a go and ruins their neck, it's YOUR fault, not mine. Or SAL's.

Not a fan of relics. Whatever.

But I don't even understand this one at all. It's only marginally dicked up. The forearm area and the pickup covers look a little ratty. What's the point?

Look a bit closer, and the lacquer is different too - it's more matte in finish, less glossy. It's also blemished and bubbled here and there too.

Personally, I think way too many relics are waaaaay over-done. I prefer a lighter touch - it's generally more realistic looking IMO. YMMV.

• Members

Look a bit closer, and the lacquer is different too - it's more matte in finish, less glossy. It's also blemished and bubbled here and there too.

Personally, I think way too many relics are waaaaay over-done. I prefer a lighter touch - it's generally more realistic looking IMO. YMMV.

The subtle ones seem even more ridiculous than the "drag it behind a car" ones.

Pay a little extra to have subtle, realistic wear? :facepalm: There's a cooler way to achieve that ever so slight wear and tear.

• Members

[ATTACH]345426[/ATTACH]

I have a Olympic white road worn strat, I changed out the pups and had a fret level on it. Pretty cool guitar. Now I had 1963 Start that was the real deal. But I like reliced guitars. My old drummer from the 80's saw it and called me a poser. LOL! My 81 LP had honest cool wear and age on it.

• Members

Every gibson with a clear coat is finished with Nitro. Buy a traditional and play the {censored} out of it, and you got it. I highly recommend sweat, sweat does wonders on nitro finish.

Its not just nitro finishes... I am a sweaty mess when I play and the matte black powder coating on the body of my EGC is starting to feel the effects.

Like I said - mine are all sporting honest wear, except for one. And I've got some semi-old stuff that looks pretty darned good. I'm not trying to make it look worn, I'm trying to take care of it - to make it last.

For example, I have a 1994 Taylor 510. It's got two tiny - and I mean maybe a millimeter, tops - dents in it, and they're both pretty hard to find. I've babied that one to a degree because it was a wedding present from my wife, but still... when I handed off my '94 Tele Special to my nephew a couple years ago, it was nearly as clean as the Taylor, and I gigged it, let people play it in the studio without the "this was from my wife, so if you scratch it, you deal with HER wrath, not mine" speech, and generally just treated it like one of my regular guitars, and after fifteen years, it had maybe a dozen marks and dings in it. - tops. Maybe only half that. It was pretty clean.

Like I said - I take care of my stuff. Personally, I'd rather have a fairly clean '62 Strat than a banged to hell '62 Strat. The problem with that is that people are too afraid to actually play a clean '62 Strat anymore - they're considered museum pieces or so valuable on the collector's market that you can't justify doing it. But IMHO, that's what the dang things were made for - they're meant to be played, not stored in some vault somewhere. I appreciate taking care of them - they should be preserved - but look at the violins from the early 1700s - they're still being played while also being cherished and preserved. IMHO, that's how we should be treating these old guitars.

If you're Rory Gallagher and you put that wear on honestly, sport it with pride...that's character, and honest - and pretty rare.

• Members

Its not just nitro finishes... I am a sweaty mess when I play and the matte black powder coating on the body of my EGC is starting to feel the effects.

Do you have really acidic sweat? I know dudes who have like acid sweat, you pick up their guitars and they are gross, {censored}ing gross.

• Members

Omni, I'm not a big fan of Customs, but yours looks cool! So does the V. Was it stark white when you first got it? It looks pretty yellowed.

Yes, it was snow white. I bought it brand new. I wish I had better pics it is also all checked. Anyways, Like the dumb ass that I am I sold it about 2 years ago.

The custom I sold to friend and have begged him to sell it back to me..no go. He is a huge collector and has a studio.

Archived