Best Amplification for keys and other instruments?

shadowshocker

• Members

Right now, I'm using my old studio monitors (KRK RP-8's) to play keyboard and guitar through, but I need something when I play with a drummer, cause they're not loud enough. I'm thinking of eventually working a bunch of instruments into my setup, so I need something versatile. Thinking of using electric guitar, synths, bass, samplers, etc. all through effects. Would the best thing to get be a PA? How would bass sound through that? Anything else I could use that will sound good with everything?

Thanks

• Members

Powered PA speakers are typically the best bet for keyboards. But synth bass can be rough on many speakers, especially if the volume is cranked. Best to have larger, quality speakers for synth bass, and/or a sub (depending upon your budget).

I have a Roland KC-350 keyboard amp - it is really loud, and the bass is especially pronounced. Great for practicing, lots of bass, fine for synth sounds, but mediocre for pianos and other acoustic instrument emulations.

• Members

i have a kc550 that i use as a monitor. i use the xlr line outs to send a stereo signal to the pa. each channel i run it into i pan hard left or right. it sounds fantastic. not only for synths and noise, but for piano (to the contrary of the previous poster on the kc series) and all other sounds. i've taken the signal from an FX send on a guitar amp and routed it through pedals and into the kc550 to great experimentation.

all in all, get a kc. how big a kc is the question.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I decided for now just to go with a guitar amp, since I don't even have a keyboard ready to play yet. But, once I get a keyboard, I don't want them going through the guitar amp too. The question I have now is, what can I use to run both, the guitar and keyboard, that will sound good with both. I want to get a bunch of effects pedals to use with both instruments, but on guitar I'll be using some distortion pedals, and from previous uses with monitors, distortion pedals sound like crap through them. Any suggestions?

• Members

If you haven't bought a guitar amp yet, then don't buy one at all. Buy an amp modeled stomp box, like the Line 6 JM4 looper. It has some very nice professional loops built in too. Then buy a powered speaker like the Behringer B212A, at a minimum. It will sound better for guitar, it will be louder, it will sound better for keyboards, voice, whatever else you put through it.

• Members

Also, on the amp I already have, it has a line out, which I'm thinking I could run the guitar into eq/distortion into the amp, and then use the line out into a mixer, along with the keyboards/drum machines, and then run those through the rest of the effects, and into the speaker that you mentioned (or one like it of course).

• Members

i have a kc550 that i use as a monitor. i use the xlr line outs to send a stereo signal to the pa. each channel i run it into i pan hard left or right. it sounds fantastic. not only for synths and noise, but for piano (to the contrary of the previous poster on the kc series) and all other sounds. i've taken the signal from an FX send on a guitar amp and routed it through pedals and into the kc550 to great experimentation.

all in all, get a kc. how big a kc is the question.

I like KC users because they generally are not anal-retentive gear obsessors/collectors but people who can play and just want a straight-ahead, tough product that will get the job done. I advise against a KC500 though- too "boomy".:D

• Members

I advise against a KC500 though- too "boomy".
:D

Even with my KC350, I have to turn the bass control on it waaaaay down. Otherwise, when I play two-handed piano sounds on my Motif, the bass end of the keyboard is just too overblown at higher overall volumes.

On the other hand, I think these KC amps would be totally cool for someone who plays lots of synth bass.

• Members

Has anyone tried a Groove Tubes Space Station? Any opinions?

I don't think you can get them any more. Seems like they'd be a little under powered.

I play guitar and keys in my band. I use a Tonelab LE modeler to emulate a guitar amp. I plug that and my keyboards into a Traynor K4 which serves as my stage monitor. That gets plugged into the PA. The K4 is 300 watts. It's plenty loud, but I don't think I'd want to go a whole lot less than that.

Powered PA speakers are a good choice too, but the K4 has stronger low end than 12" monitors. You really only notice the difference on the really low synth sounds.

• Members

I've been looking to buy a Traynor K4 for a while now. For one... it has 3 stereo channels and a monitor channel. Two ... it's fairly light, but built like a tank. Three.. at 300 watts it seems fairly loud. Four with a 15" speaker the bass doesn't flubububub.

They run between $700-800. I'm looking to pick one up this month.

• Members

I beg to differ...I think it satisfies each and every aspect of the OP. just my opinion, take it or...

A leslie wouldn't be my first choice for electric guitar and bass, unless you were specifically looking for that effect.

• Members

I've been looking to buy a Traynor K4 for a while now. For one... it has 3 stereo channels and a monitor channel. Two ... it's fairly light, but built like a tank. Three.. at 300 watts it seems fairly loud. Four with a 15" speaker the bass doesn't flubububub.

They run between $700-800. I'm looking to pick one up this month.

It's a 12" speaker, but it does have decent bass.

Archived