Jaguar/Jazzmaster tremolo systems - trem-plate spring tightness?

gambit

• Members

it's alright now.. not sure what happened. i was just tapping the coils with something metal since it had no strings on. lead circuit got noise, rhthym didn't.. held an old string over the pickup and heard it fine :idk:

• Members

The article you have pretty much sums it up for normal trems, like you said. I always do mine to the trem lock, but like you said yours doesn't have it. I'd just do it till it felt comfortable then; sort of find a medium between too hard and too soft.

• Members

i've loosened it off a fair bit.. maybe 1 + 1/2 turns, and it vibrato's with less effort, but it might be throwing strings out of tune a little too much. new pack of strings though, so we'll see how it is after a couple of days.

• Members

i've loosened it off a fair bit.. maybe 1 + 1/2 turns, and it vibrato's with less effort, but it might be throwing strings out of tune a little too much. new pack of strings though, so we'll see how it is after a couple of days.

do you pull them up and down all the way up the neck? that tends to stretch out strings pretty well so the new setting period is only a day at most.

i would guess 90% that it is the strings, but I am not familiar if the non lock trems have any other issues that are not in the trem lock ones.

• Members

i haven't yanked on them to be fair.. jsut tune, play, smack a few chords, play re-tune a couple of times. i'll let them sit overnight now.

also went up from 10-46 to 11-49.. tuned to my normal E flat initially, but it felt a bit stiff so i've dropped everything down to D-standard tuning instead. and it feels really good.

Archived