Boss RC-50 vs Boss RC-300

• Members

I just got an RC-50.

Truly, for me the RC-300 wasn't even on the radar.

I bought it slightly used, practically NIB.

It was slightly more than half the price of a new one. That was a big factor.

So what is the difference ?

Biggest difference is 25 min stereo 49 mono, vs. the 3 hours in the 300.

So far I am getting good results with backing tracks but having some learning-curve stall on doing loops from scratch, in time.

The RC-300 also has some effects on the output, different pedal layout and the expression pedal, none of which I thought I needed anyway.

It MAY have better MIDI implementation if that is important to you . MAY !

So, I figure if I can't get it down with 50 it would be pointless to load myself down with the 300.

But I do intend to get it down. So by the time I become good with it, and jones for a better one ( Which I doubt I need) maybe the 300 will be cheaply on sale used too.

Most of the complaints about the 50 were about people not reading the manual or being willing to change settings or ask someone a question.

• Members

I just got an RC-50.

Truly, for me the RC-300 wasn't even on the radar.

I bought it slightly used, practically NIB.

It was slightly more than half the price of a new one. That was a big factor.

So what is the difference ?

Biggest difference is 25 min stereo 49 mono, vs. the 3 hours in the 300.

So far I am getting good results with backing tracks but having some learning-curve stall on doing loops from scratch, in time.

The RC-300 also has some effects on the output, different pedal layout and the expression pedal, none of which I thought I needed anyway.

It MAY have better MIDI implementation if that is important to you . MAY !

So, I figure if I can't get it down with 50 it would be pointless to load myself down with the 300.

But I do intend to get it down. So by the time I become good with it, and jones for a better one ( Which I doubt I need) maybe the 300 will be cheaply on sale used too.

Most of the complaints about the 50 were about people not reading the manual or being willing to change settings or ask someone a question.

One thing I was wondering is whether you can load preset recordings on a per song basis on either the RC-50 or RC-300. What I mean is if I have 2 parts that are basically unrecreatable due to heavy processing, could I load those into two tracks, leave one open for looping, and then save all of that as a sort of group preset (ideally, able to be switched to via MIDI)?

• Members

I am completely unsure about how to do things with MIDI.

But loading tracks into the RC is a breeze.

Once you convert your stuff to WAV in the correct format and get the file structure right ( Nothing difficult, there are downloadable tracks online and it comes with a CD and some preloaded tracks, so you can see what it is supposed to look like )

You can easily put a whole backing track on one track of the looper, and record loops along with it, or do a couple for different song parts or for different instruments.

There are two basic play modes "Single" which is for , like, having Verse, Chorus, Bridge, on the tracks, and they play one at a time, or Multi, where all three can play at once.

These types of things are pretty easy and I have gotten good results with a backing track on Phrase one and then looping parts on the other two.

In otherwords YES you can do that and that part is dead easy except for the MIDI control.

http://www.bossus.com/gear/productdetails.php?ProductId=772

I want to do it sort of like this

• Members

I am completely unsure about how to do things with MIDI.

But loading tracks into the RC is a breeze.

Once you convert your stuff to WAV in the correct format and get the file structure right ( Nothing difficult, there are downloadable tracks online and it comes with a CD and some preloaded tracks, so you can see what it is supposed to look like )

You can easily put a whole backing track on one track of the looper, and record loops along with it, or do a couple for different song parts or for different instruments.

There are two basic play modes "Single" which is for , like, having Verse, Chorus, Bridge, on the tracks, and they play one at a time, or Multi, where all three can play at once.

These types of things are pretty easy and I have gotten good results with a backing track on Phrase one and then looping parts on the other two.

I guess what I meant was more along the lines of this; can several "tracks" be saved as a "group" or "patch", ie if I switch to a patch it would also fill track slots with the desired media.

Forget the fact that I even threw the word MIDI into the equation.

• Members

I guess what I meant was more along the lines of this; can several "tracks" be saved as a "group" or "patch", ie if I switch to a patch it would also fill track slots with the desired media.

Forget the fact that I even threw the word MIDI into the equation.

Absolutely.

99 patches.

Where the stuff goes is all a matter of correctly naming it in a folder.

On the downloads page of the RC-50 site (above) there are downloadable tracks . When you see them you will see how easy it is to arrange what you want.

Yes you switch to a patch and then the tracks are there. What you want to do is easy and flexible. I have already downloaded tracks and dissected the file hierarchy and put them in the machine, and if that is what you want to do it is quite doable.

I have had it two weeks and it has been a busy two weeks otherwise, with little time to play, but I have mastered the part you are asking about so I feel confident that you can too.

You will find though , that the guy who wrote the downloads DID make some mistakes, like they are too hot and sometimes the internal drum machine comes on, with the instrumental tracks and you have to turn it off, but in general this works great and it is really fun to jam with it and record your parts and play them back with the backing and even turn one or two backwards .

In fact I like backwards so much I have attached an external footswitch and mapped that to the reverse command. It will take 4 external switches that can do a lot.

• Members

Absolutely.

99 patches.

Where the stuff goes is all a matter of correctly naming it in a folder.

On the downloads page of the RC-50 site (above) there are downloadable tracks . When you see them you will see how easy it is to arrange what you want.

Yes you switch to a patch and then the tracks are there. What you want to do is easy and flexible. I have already downloaded tracks and dissected the file hierarchy and put them in the machine, and if that is what you want to do it is quite doable.

I have had it two weeks and it has been a busy two weeks otherwise, with little time to play, but I have mastered the part you are asking about so I feel confident that you can too.

Hrrm, yeah, so I don't see why the RC-300 would necessary for me either. That's pretty much 100% of what I need it to do. I was just reading the manual for the RC-50 and it seems to cover all my bases, and when price/increased footprint for the 300 is considered it's sort of a no-brainer.

• Members

I collect stereos.

So I rigged up a pair of 12" three way speakers and a 100watt per channel receiver and hooked that to my recording Mixer as pseudo PA to play it through.

And I could still use two amps and separate the outputs if I wanted to. ( Like Backing tracks to stereo and guitar loops to amps. Very flexible)

• Members

I collect stereos.

So I rigged up a pair of 12" three way speakers and a 100watt per channel receiver and hooked that to my recording Mixer as pseudo PA to play it through.

And I could still use two amps and separate the outputs if I wanted to. ( Like Backing tracks to stereo and guitar loops to amps. Very flexible)

Oooh, setting up a PA out for the Looper/triggered sample side of things would be awesome! I could get a cool blues-esque call and response going between monitors and my amp :)

Archived