Best unit to replace amp and pedalboard?

JesperT

• Members

Hi guys,

I want to start playing electric guitar in bands again, but I don't have a car and have to commute a lot by bus and train to get to band practice, so I would like to replace my amp and pedalboard with something more portable, so I can plug directly into the mixer.

I've been looking at the following:

Fender Mustang Floor

Pod HD400

Boss ME-70

Vox Tonelab EX.

Can anyone recommend any of these?

What I would really like is something that is tactile and feels like a pedalboard, i.e.: not a lot of programming needed, and I'd rather have a few good effects/models that are easy to access rather than thousands of options hidden in menus.

• Members

I was thinking about this recently. I didn't want something to replace my effects board, but just replace the amp. I just want CLEAN and full range going into the mixer. Was thinking a PocketPOD might do the trick, as long as I pick the right amp/cab setting that was more transparent. And if I happen to want to use some effects from it and leave my pedalboard at home I can do that too.

Any thoughts on that? I'm open to other amp/cab sims that will let me go direct to the mixer as long as they are clean and full range with max headroom. The cheap DI units usually sound like trash to me... Willing to entertain POD like suggestions or stomp boxes.

• Members

I have used a Mustang III (an amp version of the Mustang Floor), the Pod HD500 and a Tech 21 Liverpool + an M9 and some other pedals. I'm currently using the Tech 21 rig, because it is the most user friendly set up. The Mustang was next in line in terms of user friendly, but I found the models got kind of muddled by the speaker and it actually sounded a lot better through a PA. So the Mustang Floor should be pretty good. The HD500 sounds great, but I just got overwhelmed by all the options and found myself spending too much time in front of the computer editing the patches. HD500 is clearly the most powerful, but at the price of complexity. Very happy with the tone from all of them.

Archived