Laney VC30 any good?

gambit

• Members

it's a 2x12??

yeah early speakers were Wharfdale (crap) damn, then they changed them to Jensen (good) and the most recent have celestions (I presume good)

so it's either fairly new or they are replacements.

• Members

Why I sold mine....

Not loud enough, 30w might be enough for some people but not when you are the lone guitar in a grungy rock band, I was ringing the neck off it at (un-miked) band practice.

The output transformer blew costing me

• Members

hmm.. was hoping it was soundalike of the Vox. i might just hold out for an AC30 to show up at a good price.

i think i've heard about transformers being dodgy on Laneys befote aswell.

thanks melx :thu:

• Members

hmm.. was hoping it was soundalike of the Vox. i might just hold out for an AC30 to show up at a good price.

i think i've heard about transformers being dodgy on Laneys befote aswell.

thanks melx
:thu:

no problem... if you are after the vox sound I don't think the laney is really what you are after, other than being 30w and having el84 power valves, they aren't really a like... I don't know anything about the actual circuits but there's no valve rectifier in the laney.

• Members

i had a 1x12 VC30 with the celestion 70/80 speaker

loved the cleans ...not so much the gain. took pedals really well.

some demos...

[video=youtube;5bsqH-JSlt4]

compared to a friends LC50

[video=youtube;P3UciHjh5Kk]

[video=youtube;LFDzyW7G8Pk]

• Members

I've had one, its ok but it's not an Ac30 at all. I'd compare it to a more midrangey rot rod deluxe or similar.

AC30's to me are all about how they smoothly wind up through clean, into breakup, into crunch. The laney is more straight clean or distorted, and the the distorted channel is just a waste of time fr everyone.

Oh yeah mine broke too.

Archived