anyone play a fender vibro king extensively? giging and practice?

hangwire

• Members

been re-enthralled by this amp after seeing a way overpriced one out recently

3x10, 3x10 combo, with a fender reverb unit integrated

liked them since i saw the rev horton heat live back in the 90s

seems ike a great punch surfy/rock amp

• Members

Yea its has been the only amp I have used for a few years now. It is awesome. I have one that was modded to be 2x12 and has a master volume in the back which lets me crank it at reasonable volumes. My only complaint about it is the weight.

• Members

I saw a couple guys in different bands playing them in the few days I was in Austin. They sounded great. SRV used them so they have that legacy in Austin.

Wow thats quite a feat considering he'd been dead a few years before they were released.

I think you're thinking of a VibroVERB, not a Vibro King.

• Members

Wow thats quite a feat considering he'd been dead a few years before they were released.

I think you're thinking of a VibroVERB, not a Vibro King.

Well that may be fairly good evidence that I don't know what the {censored} I'm talking about.

• Members

I saw someone mension the ToneMaster, so I'm gonna have to step in here. I think they were supposed to be somewhat in the same ballpark tonally, and if I'm not mistaking, they were designed by the same guy for fender's custom shop, right? Both ptp, overall amazing sounding amps, or at least so I'm told:)

I've got a ToneMaster, so I can comfirm at least half of the above statement is VERY true. Just to give you another option, that might be a bit less pricey.

• Members

I saw someone mension the ToneMaster, so I'm gonna have to step in here. I think they were supposed to be somewhat in the same ballpark tonally, and if I'm not mistaking, they were designed by the same guy for fender's custom shop, right? Both ptp, overall amazing sounding amps, or at least so I'm told:)

I've got a ToneMaster, so I can comfirm at least half of the above statement is VERY true. Just to give you another option, that might be a bit less pricey.

Both were done by Bruce Zinky when he worked for the Custom Shop. IIRC, the Tone Master doesn't have reverb/trem, and is a 2x12, not a 3x10.

• Members

Both were done by Bruce Zinky when he worked for the Custom Shop. IIRC, the Tone Master doesn't have reverb/trem, and is a 2x12, not a 3x10.

Yeah I guess that's what I meant with "somewhat in the same ballpark":lol:

Never played a Vibroking myself, but based on what I read online somewhere, I'm assuming the basics of the circuit would similar to that of the Tone-master. Don't quote me on that though, I'm sure it's quite a stretch to say that the Tone-Master is a head version of the Vibroking, with a distortion channel instead of trem/verb.

• Members

Completely different amps tonally. The Tonemaster is a 100 watter and is a lot closer to a Marshall sound-wise.

I was at NAMM when these were debuted and sat through Al Cooper's demo of both amps in Fender's iso booth - they both sounded kickass and along with the Matchless stuff were the talk of the show.

The bass player in my band at the time went to HS with Zinky - still couldn't get us a discount. :rolleyes::lol:

Archived