Shoegaze/Post Rock guys, How do you do it?!

• Members

I started changing styles a year or so ago and all i want to play and write is shoegaze and post rock stuff but it seems like i'll get a good idea every couple months then hit a wall :facepalm: how do you keep yourselfs inspired and your music from becoming repititous or boring? :confused::wave:

• Members

alright what are some good bands that play shoegaze but aren't boring? or do they not exist?
:lol:

'play shoegaze' .... mmmmm..... well swervedriver are often labelled as such and they are far from boring.

[video=youtube;MHva52tOoeo]

...but really, to play shoegaze all you need to do is look nonchalantly down at your pedals while you strum.

• Members

I don't write post-rock (stupid genre name) or shoegaze (even more stupid genre name) but I do enjoy a lot that comes from those areas. It seems that they write conventional pop structures with dreamy/vague lyrics, then coat it in reverb/delay. "When You Sleep" by MBV is a perfect example. Had they turned the vocals up/sang more clearly, that could have been a pop song easily (which I wouldn't prefer, but it goes to show).

• Members

well i really love to mess with delay and reverb and big open fuzz sounds.. so it's a genre that appels to me a lot and i love listening to it but playing it is hard for me because i become bored of my ideas :facepalm::confused: maybe it's time for a style change

• Members

Melody focused pop songs, reverb, chorus, delay. It's pretty easy. Just listen to Just for a Day, Souvlaki, Pygmalion, Loveless, Nowhere, and LSD and the Search for God a lot and get inspired.

Inhebriation may help.

• Members

Concentrate on writng songs, add the fx later.

This is really important, songs should always come first. The sound production / mixing is what draws people in, but it's way imperative to have great songs. I'm sick of the millions of shoegaze post whatever {censored} bands that come out and sound all the same. MBV was there first and it's a bit unfortunate that they all sound like cheap knock offs of them.

A good example of a good band (not shoegaze) who perfect their sound but still have great songs is Beach House IMO, and on the other end of the spectrum, there are too many bands who are forgettable to even name. All of this is IMO of course and my opinion is usually incredibly biased.

• Members

This is really important, songs should always come first. The sound production / mixing is what draws people in, but it's way imperative to have great songs. I'm sick of the millions of shoegaze post whatever {censored} bands that come out and sound all the same. MBV was there first and it's a bit unfortunate that they all sound like cheap knock offs of them.

A good example of a good band (not shoegaze) who perfect their sound but still have great songs is Beach House IMO, and on the other end of the spectrum, there are too many bands who are forgettable to even name. All of this is IMO of course and my opinion is usually incredibly biased.

thanks! i'll check them out... and that's my problem! i don't want to be in a band that turns into a forgettable name who sounded like so and so

• Members

I really want to be Ryan Adams, but I always end up as Kevin Shields, Will Sergeant, and Nels
C
line adopted samurai son.

theres your problem... you have your priorities around the wrong way. the first three you mentioned are trail blazing talents taking music in places it has never been. adams, whilst undoubtedly talented is easily one of the most derivative songwriters of our time

• Members

Impo, if you forucs on making music that fits a certain style, you're bound to end up sounding like a million other bands, at best. Especially in a genre like post rock/shoe gaze, that's been done to death. Everyone with a delay and a volume pedal can do the same old tricks and play boring whiny clich

Archived