NPD: Line 6 DM-4 - or - How I learned to stop worrying and love digital distortion

gambit

• Members

Great review, pretty much exactly my thoughts on it as well. Good call on the harsh treble thing - I am finding I'm having to get the band to play a riff so I can tweak the treble to get the right amount of cut without harshness in a band mix. But once it's set right, it does the job!

• Members

i should have a demo up in a few nights. is there anything you'd particularly want to hear?

i did a fair bit of A/B'ing vs the Rat and TS-9 and dialled in some very close sounds. but the low end just made the DM4 sound that much better.

or i could just run through a few favorite sounds and how i dial them in? certainly not going to go through all of the models one by one.. i spent a good couple of hours doing that already!

• Members

I think omar rodriguez was using one of these for a while.

I'm selling mine then.

(joke!)

This probably is the death knell for the pedal, but the edge has used lots of DM-4 on recent u2 albums (think vertigo) to the point that line 6 built him a DM Pro rack mount version in their rack format. For some reason I have it in mind that Muse use them too, but I can't find anything at the moment so I probably shouldn't even mention that. :D

• Members

is it all pretty much the same as teh models on the M9? cuz yea, they aint that bad at all

yeah i think so. i don't remember the M13 i had sounding as good though.. might purely be a perception thing with DM4's big knobs or something but it feels like it has a wider frequency range or something. big low end and better mids :idk: its probably a weird trick of the mind

• Members

yeah i think so. i don't remember the M13 i had sounding as good though.. might purely be a perception thing with DM4's big knobs or something but it feels like it has a wider frequency range or something. big low end and better mids
:idk:
its probably a weird trick of the mind

Or it might just be that the base sound of the pedal is better - it does happen with digital pedals. The analogue path to and from the actual part of the circuit where it becomes 0s and 1s is usually very cheap tiny analogue components and they will affect the tones passing through them.

Archived