Who's into pickup wiring?

• Members

Get this:

Humbucker in the neck

Single Coil in the bridge

2 switches. One for each pickup. Much like a Mustang.

Here's the catch:

When both switches are "on," the output will be both pickups in parallel.

When one switch is one, that pickup will be on by itself.

When both switches are "off," the output will also be both pickups in parallel.

I have a feeling there is going to be some witchcraft involved, but I think it can be done.

Anyone want to take a crack at it?

• Members

Here's the problem. If you want a pickup to be "off" you need to physically break connection between the hot lead and the output. So, when both are off neither is connected to that output at all. They could, of course, both be connected to something else but unless you have some other switch in place to make connection to the output again they will just sit there.

• Members

Doable.

Two circuits, one where the pickups add to the circuit, one where they make the circuit.

For the 'both off' circuit, they both need to be in place to make the circuit work, which only works in parallel. If one's taken out, it joins the 'add to' circuit, breaking the first, and being the only working pickup in that circuit. If the second is added they both run parallel. Make sense?

Though I'm still not sure why it's needed.

• Members

Doable.

Two circuits, one where the pickups add to the circuit, one where they
make
the circuit.

For the 'both off' circuit, they both need to be in place to make the circuit work, which only works in parallel. If one's taken out, it joins the 'add to' circuit, breaking the first, and being the only working pickup in that circuit. If the second is added they both run parallel. Make sense?

Though I'm still not sure why it's needed.

With two DPDT slider switches? Explain. Maybe you're right but I'm not seeing it in my head.

• Members

I'll have to look into the switches more to sketch anything out, but think of standard mustang wiring - you have your active circuit, and your ground circuit. If the ground circuit were an active circuit that needed both switches thrown its way to become complete and therefore live, then the result would be what the OP's asking for.

• Members

I'll have to look into the switches more to sketch anything out, but think of standard mustang wiring - you have your active circuit, and your ground circuit. If the ground circuit were an active circuit that needed both switches thrown its way to become complete and therefore live, then the result would be what the OP's asking for.

this is what I kind of thought at first but I'm struggling to see how I'd wire it.... i'm also struggling to see the point of it.. you might as well just have standard on/off/on mustang wiring.

• Members

But then how would you have only one pickup on?

This is the standard mustang wiring.

mustang_Schematic.gif

Middle is off.

I'm guessing OP wants something more like jaguar switch wiring which uses DPDTs (only needs SPDTs really)

• Members

if you can do it with a 3 way switch and a 6 pole slider switch ascetically here you go:

series_howto.gif

but if you want to use 3 position slider switches really bad, and ONLY 3 position swtches I dont know... theoretically if you can throw in a 6 pole dptd in the mix it should be the same principle as the above diagram I think

• Members

Why not just use one 3-way on/on/on slider switch and have it so down is bridge, middle is both, up is neck? That'd be dead simple.

Do you know where you can get a bottom plate for a 3 way slider?

• Members

SORRY MATT, MY DICK DOESN'T KNOW WHAT IT WANTS ANYMORE. WE NEVER TALK, AND I'M ALONE IN THIS BIG, SCARY WORLD.

I want to be able to go from JUST BRIDGE to JUST NECK with only one switch. And I hate 3 way switches. I don't often play live and sober at the same time, so I'm trying to make my life simpler. I guess regular Mustang switching isn't that bad, but I'd like to not have an option for BOTH OFF if possible.

• Members

SORRY MATT, MY DICK DOESN'T KNOW WHAT IT WANTS ANYMORE. WE NEVER TALK, AND I'M ALONE IN THIS BIG, SCARY WORLD.

I want to be able to go from JUST BRIDGE to JUST NECK with only one switch. And I hate 3 way switches. I don't often play live and sober at the same time, so I'm trying to make my life simpler. I guess regular Mustang switching isn't that bad, but I'd like to not have an option for BOTH OFF if possible.

might I suggest 2 on/off switch toggle for each pickup seperatly?

or if you do not use both pickups, a 2 way switch for just either pickup?

• Members
I want to be able to go from JUST BRIDGE to JUST NECK with only one switch.

Now I'm confused. From what you described in the OP, you'd need to hit both switches to move between neck and bridge.

How about another idea - one switch to say 'just one pickup' or 'both pickups' and the second switch to flip between pickups when only one is selected. Sounds pretty drunk proof to me (though I'd have to test it :D).

Archived