Blakemore Mustang review...

• Members

So I've had this pedal for a few weeks now; traded my Hotcake to Blake for the Mustang - I definitely got the better deal - and now I feel like I can give a thorough analysis of what I thought.

Pretty snazzy artwork! Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure a fellow HCFXer designed the art on this one... (not my picture btw)

blakemore_mustang_001.jpg

Guitars I've played into it: Reverend Flatroc (pickups comparable to Gretsch/TV Jones; moderate output), Benford Dual Cutaway (w/ Porter Clear Humbuckers - pretty high output and bright, yet full and thick)

Amps it's been played into: Marshall Class 5 1x10 combo, Gabriel Voxer V18 w/ 2x12 Emperor cab

As has been discussed before, the 3 band EQ on this pedal is the real selling point - makes it quite the versatile OD pedal. The Vox side of my Gabriel can sound kinda thin when run pretty clean (like every other Vox :lol:), and cranking the bass up a bit on the Mustang can REALLY help it out. All 3 separate tone knobs are very useful and effective for either dialing in more or less of each frequency. :thu:

I find this pedal best works as a clean boost. I run both of my amps just past breakup, perhaps a bit moreso on the Class 5, and the actual character of the drive on the Mustang doesn't jive with me that much. It has a unique fuzz-like waveform that becomes more and more apparent the higher you turn up the gain knob (I like to keep it around 9 o'clock)... just not my cup of tea. But as a cleanish boost, this pedal does pretty well! With the gain turned down pretty low, it can be pretty transparent. There's still some compression involved, but nothing bad or severe at all. There's also a significant amount of volume on tap as well, and even with the gain turned down to 9:00, the volume knob reaches unity gain around 10:00-11:00, which still leaves plenty of room for a lot more boost. It also stacks really well with both my fuzz pedals (Lunar Module Mini Deluxe, Blackout Effectors Fix'd Fuzz Deluxe), and my Timmy.

So even though the drive character isn't my favorite, I've discovered one of the few pedals that works well with Vox-flavored amps (IMO, most of the Voxes and Voxish amps I've tried have been pretty picky with dirt pedals).

If anyone is looking for a unique, but VERY versatile cleanish boost, that's how I'd describe the best qualities of the Blakemore Effects Mustang Overdrive. :thu:

• Members

Was it Ren that designed it?

I agree with most of your points. I think I told Blake the same, the boost part is really awesome and I think as a general point, the pedal really maintains clarity -- which I love.

Blake's got a bright future in the pedal-making business as far as I can tell.

• Members

Thanks for the cool review, buddy! I was looking forward to hearing your thoughts. Glad to hear you still liked it. I was playing with the Hotcake today, and I like it too! I was playing with different combos of the Klon, Timmy, Hotcake, and Mustang, and they all play pretty well together. The Hotcake may be a bit too bassy for my liking, but it stacks really well with the others!

• Members

Thanks for the cool review, buddy! I was looking forward to hearing your thoughts. Glad to hear you still liked it. I was playing with the Hotcake today, and I like it too! I was playing with different combos of the Klon, Timmy, Hotcake, and Mustang, and they all play pretty well together. The Hotcake may be a bit too bassy for my liking, but it stacks really well with the others!

No prob man! :)

I can tell you definitely spent a great deal of time and work into making the 3 band EQ section work well - always nice to see and play something different and unique apart from the same old dirt pedal. It's good that someone like yourself is branching out and truly adding something unique to each type of pedal you come up with - and all 3 of yours definitely have that going for them - clean blend with the Deus Ex, the pseudo nasty octave/thing with the Bipolar, and then the 3 band EQ and unique waveform with the Mustang. And all at a very affordable price. Kudos to you Blake. :thu:

• Members

No prob man!
:)

I can tell you definitely spent a great deal of time and work into making the 3 band EQ section work well - always nice to see and play something different and unique apart from the same old dirt pedal. It's good that someone like yourself is branching out and
truly adding something unique to each type of pedal
you come up with - and all 3 of yours definitely have that going for them - clean blend with the Deus Ex, the pseudo nasty octave/thing with the Bipolar, and then the 3 band EQ and unique waveform with the Mustang. And
all at a very affordable price
. Kudos to you Blake.
:thu:

Agreed.

Archived