Bought A Gibson SG Today. Guess What I Paid...

Player99

• Members

I bought a robot SG that had been converted to a regular SG. The tuners are the same type as the regular SG, and the bridge was replaced with a regular Gibson bridge. The neck is perfect, there are no marks, the pickups are stock. Nice glossy body. There are no marks on the headstock, top and back, except where the plate is some finish is off on the edge. The back cover is smokey clear plastic, and the jack is a Nuetrik mounted on the edge of the body instead of the top. Came with a Gibson hard shell case. The case is a little beat up outside along a couple of edge spots.

What do you think it is worth?

Wow you guys sure low ball. I wish I paid $300. I paid $560. RoboPimp wins. It is a really nice guitar. Excellent shape. No issues. I think I did well at $560.

Maybe. First, I need to know what color it is. If it's blueburst or something horrendous, you may have paid too much. ;)

No seriously - I'd say you did well at that price - congratulations. :cool:

Pics please? :)

• Members

It is the nice cherry color. (In Canada we spell color colour). I couldn't talk him down because he had so many local replies to his ad he said that he was firm, and there were guys waiting to buy it if I did not show up or want to pay his price.

It has a bit fatter neck, the body has 0 marks except where the plastic cover goes on the back, small marks right on the edge. No dings really glossy and rich looking. No buzzes, no fret wear, no dead spots. Sounds as it should.

I will try to get pics. I also bought a brand new L6 JTV69 Variax Tobacco burst today as well. I went to the warehouse to try a bunch out last week as no stores up here are stocking them. I would never buy a guitar without trying it...Well maybe a Collings I-35 Deluxe or Collings CL Deluxe, but other than those two, no way. I found one JTV69 that was exceptional, then they shipped it to my music store. It arrived today and I bought it. I was also able to get extended warranty. I bought an extra 3 years. I am covered until 2016. It plays really well, and I like it a lot.

It was a 2 guitar day.

I like SGs a lot, I really do. I love their necks... but hate how long they feel - I'm always losing my place on an SG. Not a big fan of the neck dive either, although I can cope with that. Love their sound and playability though. The cherry is a classic colour - congrats. We'd still welcome pics when you get a chance, but we understand you want to spend the time playing. Especially on a two-guitar day. :)

• Members
I like SGs a lot, I really do. I love their necks... but hate how long they feel - I'm always losing my place on an SG. Not a big fan of the neck dive either, although I can cope with that. Love their sound and playability though. The cherry is a classic colour - congrats. We'd still welcome pics when you get a chance, but we understand you want to spend the time playing. Especially on a two-guitar day.
:)

What SG's have you owned Phil? I had a nice G400 Epiphone that played great, flawless construction, but the pickups were meh and it did have the neck dive. I have a Gibson SG Special now (not faded) and this thing is great. So nice to play, even the stock pickups I like, and it's extremely well balanced. No neck dive at all. Maybe it depends on location of the straplocks or something like that. Anyways, I'm starting to feel that SG's are some of the best guitars out there now.

Archived