Thoughts on "boutique" reverb

• Members

I could be totally wide of the mark here, as I don't know an awful lot about it, but in terms of features will any of the boutique manufacturers (with the exception of Strymon as they have a whole team dedicated to this) be able to match the big boys (Boss, Digitech, EHX) for innovative reverb pedals?

Surely boutique manufacturers are limited by off the shelf reverb chips, or am I wrong? Whereas Boss for example will surely have a whole host of programmers coming up with reverb algorithms specifically for their pedals?

• Members

I guess what I'm sort of asking but articulating badly is are most of these boutique reverbs just based on off the shelf chips or is their any original programming of algorithms etc actually done?

It really varies, a lot use Belton's, some use DSP, some use delay chips. There are many paths to the same end.

• Members

I guess what I'm sort of asking but articulating badly is are most of these boutique reverbs just based on off the shelf chips or is their any original programming of algorithms etc actually done?

Pretty sure the Wet is all custom code. Just a guess.

• Members

The Dr. Scientist Reverberator uses original DSP code as well (I think?). Regardless, it's my favorite of the boutique bunch with a nice variety of well voiced settings and simple but effective level, mix, and decay controls. I don't need anything more excessive for verb.

I hear that TC HoF is hard to beat for price now days though, no experience......

• Members

The Dr. Scientist Reverberator uses original DSP code as well (I think?). Regardless, it's my favorite of the boutique bunch with a nice variety of well voiced settings and simple but effective level, mix, and decay controls. I don't need anything more excessive for verb.

I hear that TC HoF is hard to beat for price now days though, no experience

For the price, yes, it's tough to beat... But it's got plenty of flaws. Silly you can't go 100% wet, and there's not enough decay on most of the modes. The church mode sounded the best, but every other mode was just 'meh' or worse. Plus, there really wasnt much variation between a lot of the modes; some seemed kinda pointless IMO.

• Members

For me personally it's all about bang for the buck. My RV-3 and Biyang combo does more than enough for me, and though I'm sure some boutique pedal might sound a tiny little bit better, it'll probably never sound $150 better to me. I'll always pick three good pedals over one cool pedal. Especially with an effect like reverb, where the bees knees will always be a rack unit rather than a similarly priced pedal...

• Members

Nothing comes close to my Malekko Spring Chicken. Easily the one to beat and the bar is set high.

if you have one that works, that's great. but they don't have such a good reputation for that and i've seen a few break. they sound {censored}ing awesome though.

Archived