A message from Bobby D

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

No. I played three shows with Bo Didley. He made me introduce him as "The Maginficent Bo Didley" I was 16 years old and he was cool and he signed the guard from my Les Paul and was cool - good stories.

No, you didn't.

I played behind Chuck Berry in a pick up band when I was 20 or 21. He was cool and let me play a lot and at first was an a-hole then at the end of the night told me I could play.

Again, no, you didn't.

• Members

Shame about the way it turned out. I am sure it was all in good karma but the reply from Buddy Guy isn't very nice if it is so. Bobby D should have gotten in contact with the magasine and sorted it out through that rather than talk bout it on forums. That's the only thing I would have advised.

Still BG, that's no way to talk about someone even if they had a dark past. Clearly the mistake is the tone in which a professional guitar player describes the trade which means that he is brushing his own ego. Shameful as he doesn't need the extra good/bad publicity that way. Buddy Guy is a talented guitarist, there's no need for that kind of talk regarding a trade that reunited him back with his long term lost guitar.

• Members

I would rather see Buddy Guy throw tht guitar oversees in the middle of the ocean or smash it then return it to a weak person who just cries about a decision made of their own free will.

Good for Buddy Guy. I'm just glad the guitar is in a real man's hands.

Oooof. You're just a POHS aren't you?

BGuy couldn't leave well enough alone, schemed Bobby for his guitar and then {censored} talked him.

If you think that is the mark of a real man, than you sir are part of the downfall of humanity.

And the guitar smashing comment won't get you far either.

please GTFO.

• Members

Oooof. You're just a POHS aren't you?

BGuy couldn't leave well enough alone, schemed Bobby for his guitar and then {censored} talked him.

If you think that is the mark of a real man, than you sir are part of the downfall of humanity.

And the guitar smashing comment won't get you far either.

please GTFO.

The mark of a "real man" is to not go back on a deal. The guy made a bad trade, it's his own fault. It's too bad he did it but such is life. We all make mistakes. Some of is learn from them and move on and some blame other things (drugs, booze, other people, etc...).

I won't say anything else about it buy if Buddy Guy had a gun to his head or held him down and injected him with H or poured a bottle down his gullet against his will I could see his point. He's not the first one to willingly get drunk and do something stupid, nor is he the last. He is ultimatly responsible for his actions.

People not taking responsibility for their actions/well being and believing their entitled and the rules somehow don't apply to them is what has lead to the "downfall of humanity".

• Members

Bg...yr a tool. Reason bobby d got upset wasnt that he thought the deal was bad but that buddy basically said he got the guitar from a fool. Bobby d was nice and di the trade.....no bad blood there. But of course if the other guy buddy later tells everyone he got it from a moron, anyone would be pissed.

• Members

Bg...yr a tool. Reason bobby d got upset wasnt that he thought the deal was bad but that buddy basically said he got the guitar from a fool. Bobby d was nice and di the trade.....no bad blood there. But of course if the other guy buddy later tells everyone he got it from a moron, anyone would be pissed.

Yeah but in Buddy's defense he was right. The guy should have not done the trade - and he's unhappy about it. I mean, maybe he didn't say nice stuff but man get over yourself.

• Members

From what I remember, even though Buddy was giving Bobby the old creepy "whats it gonna take" move that somehow eventually beat him out, Bobby insisted that his strat was not for sale.

Buddy poured him bourbon on the tour bus, put his arm on his shoulder, then old Buddy buddy-buddied him and essentially conned him into it. Like a Buddy.

How he consciously talked old bobby D into it, I have no clue. But the point remains, Buddy Guy pulled a dick move.

• Members

From what I remember, even though Buddy was giving Bobby the old creepy "whats it gonna take" move that somehow eventually beat him out, Bobby insisted that his strat was not for sale.

Buddy poured him bourbon on the tour bus, put his arm on his shoulder, then old Buddy buddy-buddied him and essentially conned him into it. Like a Buddy.

How he consciously talked old bobby D into it, I have no clue. But the point remains, Buddy Guy pulled a dick move.

1- That's one side of the story written by a guy who is sorry he did a deal. There are two sides to every story

2- Nobody forced him to drink or held a gun to his head

Man up and move on. I mean, aren't "bluesmen" supposed to be able to hold their booze? Maybe Bobby D should ust write a song about it:

I say I took 99 shots of whiskey and Buddy Guy done took my mojo baby away

I said I took 99 shots of whiskey and now I got no stratocaster to play

gonna post online and write letters about it all night and all day!

(insert cliche pentatonic riff and blooze face here)

• Members

Bobby D beat Ellen De Generes out of a sweet vest. Karma is a bitch - but I don't hear Ellen complaining about it, she moved on.

Boddy D just got what was coming to him.

1989-Ellen-DeGeneres-1-400.jpg

I think this guy may be Bobby D's father.

dr%20smith%20Green_Vest__1.jpg

• Members

From Bobby D's story:

After the show was over, we go onto Buddy's bus and share a few glasses of Remy XO cognac and talk some Blues guitar.

Buddy tells me, "Son, I want that guitar. I will give you ANY of my guitars that I got with me for THAT guitar."

I told him, "Well Buddy, what you got here is a bunch of custom shop Fender Strats... which are cool... but this here is a REAL '58... I'm gonna need me some spending money along with one of your guitars."

He was determined... and eventually gave me a large pile of cash, and I picked out the RED Buddy Guy Strat with polka dots. He had several black ones, but only ONE red one, and it was on the cover of Guitar Player Magazine in 1994, and was sorta unique.

So he got a "large pile of cash" and a CS Strat - doesn't really sound like Buddy Guy tricked him at all.

Another addict running a scam. Nothing is ever their fault. Bobby probably could have sold the documented Buddy Guy Strat and used the "large pile of cash" to get another one - and he claims to be the person who buys guitars for the Hard Rock Cafe - seems he could have sold Buddy Guy's "ONE" red Strat to them and combined it with the "large pile of cash" and bought another one (or another and an amp or two guitars, etc...). Now that he misses the guitar he's got people who are into donating to him. What a too, he was compensated.

I would like to know how much "large pile of cash" is.

So it wasn't he got him drunk and traded him. He drank with him, talked to him, was clear he wanted the guitar and gave him a CS Strat and a "large pile of cash".

Maybe Bobby D should have used the cash for a guitar instead of a technicolor dream coat vest.

Getting mad at Buddy Guy here is stupid. According to the story he was clear from the beginning about what he wanted and gave him money- a lot of money and a guitar.

What's the problem?

• Members

From Bobby D's story:

After the show was over, we go onto Buddy's bus and share a few glasses of Remy XO cognac and talk some Blues guitar.

Buddy tells me, "Son, I want that guitar. I will give you ANY of my guitars that I got with me for THAT guitar."

I told him, "Well Buddy, what you got here is a bunch of custom shop Fender Strats... which are cool... but this here is a REAL '58... I'm gonna need me some spending money along with one of your guitars."

He was determined... and eventually gave me a large pile of cash, and I picked out the RED Buddy Guy Strat with polka dots. He had several black ones, but only ONE red one, and it was on the cover of Guitar Player Magazine in 1994, and was sorta unique.

So he got a "large pile of cash" and a CS Strat - doesn't really sound like Buddy Guy tricked him at all.

Another addict running a scam. Nothing is ever their fault. Bobby probably could have sold the documented Buddy Guy Strat and used the "large pile of cash" to get another one - and he claims to be the person who buys guitars for the Hard Rock Cafe - seems he could have sold Buddy Guy's "ONE" red Strat to them and combined it with the "large pile of cash" and bought another one (or another and an amp or two guitars, etc...). Now that he misses the guitar he's got people who are into donating to him. What a too, he was compensated.

I would like to know how much "large pile of cash" is.

So it wasn't he got him drunk and traded him. He drank with him, talked to him, was clear he wanted the guitar and gave him a CS Strat and a "large pile of cash".

Maybe Bobby D should have used the cash for a guitar instead of a technicolor dream coat vest.

Getting mad at Buddy Guy here is stupid. According to the story he was clear from the beginning about what he wanted and gave him money- a lot of money and a guitar.

What's the problem?

Bobbby is a real nice dude, you've gotten fixated on this because someone's pulled you up for being a tad insensitive. Just relax.

I think the reason why Bobby was unhappy was because he felt hurt by the words of one of his idols in the press many years after the deal. That is surely something that you could empathise with.

• Members

Bobbby is a real nice dude, you've gotten fixated on this because someone's pulled you up for being a tad insensitive. Just relax.

I think the reason why Bobby was unhappy was because he felt hurt by the words of one of his idols in the press many years after the deal. That is surely something that you could empathise with.

Yeah, but i wouldn't start a big internet campaign about it.

It's a little unfair to Buddy Guy to say he took advantage of Bobby D when the truth (according to Bobby) is he got a seat on the stage for a show, a private meeting with Buddy Guy, his pick of one of Buddy Guy's personal Fender CS Strats and "a large pile of cash", and even from the beginning before any drinking Buddy told him he wanted the guitar.

When you look at that I think he's being as baby. I'm also glad Buddy Guy was able to get his old guitar back. I have sold some guitars and would love the chance to get them back - I'm sure a lot of people here would as well.

• Members

I don't remember exactly the amount in Bobby's story (it's out there if you look for it) but it was something like $400/$500 because "thats all Buddy had with him"

His own story claims it was "a large pile of cash". Sounds like he has multiple versions of it.

http://www.stratoblogster.com/2010/09/buddy-guys-58-burst-and-bobby-d.html

Plus, the guitar was stolen from Buddy Guy.

Honestly, if someone showed up at one of your gigs with your stolen 58 Strat would you be generous enough to give them a CS Strat and "a large pile of cash" to get it back or would you call the cops or your attorney and get it for nothing?

HEY! Maybe Bobby D's father STOLE the guitar from Buddy!!! He does look kinda shifty.

dr%20smith%20Green_Vest__1.jpg

• Members

Yeah, but i wouldn't start a big internet campaign about it.

It's a little unfair to Buddy Guy to say he took advantage of Bobby D when the truth (according to Bobby) is he got a seat on the stage for a show, a private meeting with Buddy Guy, his pick of one of Buddy Guy's personal Fender CS Strats and "a large pile of cash", and even from the beginning before any drinking Buddy told him he wanted the guitar.

When you look at that I think he's being as baby. I'm also glad Buddy Guy was able to get his old guitar back. I have sold some guitars and would love the chance to get them back - I'm sure a lot of people here would as well.

You are blowing this way out of proportion as far as I can tell. Let me break it down for you.

1. Bobby D gets to play a show with one of his heroes and is invited to hang out with him.

2. Bobby D hangs out with Buddy Guy and trades guitar

3. Bobby D has rad story for years

4. Buddy Guy tells the events in a different way, which upsets Bobby D.

That's it. This isn't a complex issue here.

What it boils down to is that your being a real asshole in this thread, and talking {censored} about a good dude who contributed a lot to this board.

• Members

So Buddy Guy made Bobby D look like an idiot in an interview.

How many people would even know this had Bobby D not made everyone aware of the situation? If he felt Buddy made him sound stupid I would think he would want less people to know about it, not more.

Anywho, I'm sure Bobby D is a good guy. Hopefully the "big pile of cash" didn't go up his nose or in his arm and he bought a cool guitar with it.

Archived