What fuzz do you play the most these days?

triviani

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Octophant. I come from the future.

I was playing with it on my breadboard last night. It is perty fun. I was about to box it up, but got lazy and will wait until I finish building everyone elses. I've been using a Harmonic Percolator/Wooly Mammoth combo pedal I built a lot.

• Members

I was playing with it on my breadboard last night. It is perty fun. I was about to box it up, but got lazy and will wait until I finish building everyone elses. I've been using a Harmonic Percolator/Wooly Mammoth combo pedal I built a lot.

how does the Percolator stack up with other dirts?

what schematics did you build it from?

• Members

how does the Percolator stack up with other dirts?

what schematics did you build it from?

I ran it into my Hot Cake and it sounded cool, not so much into the HM-2. Running into the Wooly Mammoth creates a {censored}ing massive bass tone.

I used the schematic based off of Albini's HP and then subbed a few different resistors in for some of the weirder values. I also experimented with different transistors and diodes. I think right now it has an NTE pnp Germ and a BC109, and then 1n34A's in an asymmetric clipping pattern. Stock it sounded fun with the 404 and all that, but I like my brew better. I also added a protection diode and power supply filtering as well as an internally switchable high-pass filter to make it even more abrasive.

• Members

I ran it into my Hot Cake and it sounded cool, not so much into the HM-2. Running into the Wooly Mammoth creates a {censored}ing massive bass tone.

I used the schematic based off of Albini's HP and then subbed a few different resistors in for some of the weirder values. I also experimented with different transistors and diodes. I think right now it has an NTE pnp Germ and a BC109, and then 1n34A's in an asymmetric clipping pattern. Stock it sounded fun with the 404 and all that, but I like my brew better. I also added a protection diode and power supply filtering as well as an internally switchable high-pass filter to make it even more abrasive.

sounds cool.

that's the Interfax one, right?

• Members

The two I've been using the most recently are the Frantone The Sweet and Dr. Scientist Frazz Dazzler. I've only recently bought both pedals, but I love them both. They both blend that fine line between Big Muff style smooth fuzz, but they just have a bit of unpredictability and wildness to them. Also, the gate switch on the Frazz is awesome, and it may be the quietest fuzz I've ever heard.

• Members

by the way, since i'm grinding my teeth in antecipation, does it work better into a dirty amp or into a clean amp?

Right now I'm using it into a ZT Lunchbox with the gain at about noon into a 2x10 cab. I've only tried this particular one into the ZT, but I imagine it would sound good into any clean to medium gain amp. Probably a bad idea to use it with a Mesa or anything like that.

• Members
:cry:
haven't played with a fuzz for 6 weeks
yesterday I was holding a PE Yardbox in my hands but was too lazy to put a battery in
last fuzz I used was the HWA Fuzzwork Orange
I'm cleaning out but am keeping the fuzz pedals

• Members

Definitely the MJM London Fuzz, I also use the London Fuzz II and the Reptile Fuzz but that's the one I use the most.

Mike is a cool guy, he lived around the corner from me 30 years ago. Huge Hendrix nut, had a Plexi stack in his bedroom.

Archived