Mac experts and fans...

So, what is getting updated at the WWDC next week?

I need a better / faster computer. I'm debating just biting the bullet and buying a 15" MBP with the 2.2 GHz quad core i7. They have a couple refurbished ones in right now, so I could save a few bucks that way... I'm just debating whether to try to do it now, or waiting until after the announcement next week.

What happens with the prices on the refurbs and the current generation stuff after the announcement? I'd like to do this before I take off for summer NAMM (yup - I'm scheduled to go to Nashville next month) if at all possible.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

In my experience prices drop but not enough to go with the old machine. I remember in 06 when the Mac Book Pro came out Powerbooks were sold at full price until MBP shipped and G5s were full price even though everyone knew intel was coming.

I would hold off, but other people may have more up to date comments.

For what it's worth that 06 MBP still works great and I have 3 Mac Pros all going strong as well as a new MBP.

• Members

Did you get my PM about logic Phil?

On topic, I did read that they were upgrading the screen to the retina one. As for performance mine is a mid-2011 13inch bottom of the line MacBook Pro that serves my needs pretty well although at times I can't have other applications open if I'm using Logic. What harm can waiting a week do?

• Members

Philip, I know you're a vet like myself, so register at military.com and they give you an apple products discount. True story, it takes off the tax at least so I wouldn't bother with refurb stuff.

No affiliation or anything I've just been registered for a long time and bought a few things through it. :thu:

• Members

My MacBookpro from '06 just bit the dust.. hard dive and cd drive.. I'm holding off for the updates.. I here it shall be epic.

I changed my HD a while back because my kid dropped it (also changed the screen). It was pretty easy and I got a faster, bigger drive for about $40.00. I can help you through it if yoiu attempt send me a pm.

• Members

Wait till after the announcement. The current models will become the "old models", and their refurbs will be discounted more, and most other models will drop as well. Make sure to check the descriptions carefully. www.mactracker.ca is a great site for Mac model info, so just make sure that you are not buying the two year old model when you are intending to buy last year's model.

Of course, you may always prefer the new model.

Mac refurbs are great deals, many veteran Mac podcasters always buy refurbs, and they carry the same warranty and eligibility for AppleCare as a new Mac. If you have a Discover card, linking to the Apple Store from their web site also gives you an additional 5% back.

And, yes, check whether the i7s are quad core or dual core. My Macbook Air is a dual core i7, which makes a lot of sense for an Air or similar ultrabook because of heat issues (by comparison, my iMac could double as a space heater when playing Flash video).

Correct me if I'm wrong but the MBP i5 and i7 aren't true quad correct? I have a 2011 13" 2.7 i7 and it's dual, not quad. The i7s in the iMacs are true quad....

The current 15" and 17" MBP models are Sandy Bridge and using i7 quad cores. That's what I'd prefer to have if I can swing it - a quad i7. In particular, the one that seems to hit the right spot in the current lineup is the 15" MBP with the 2.2GHz quad core i7, 500GB HDD and 4GB RAM; which I'd max out to 8GB myself.

Of course, that's assuming they don't do something like put Ivy Bridge and i7 quad cores into the 13" MBP and announce that next week. Not that I think they will - the rumours seem to suggest new 15" models are in the works. I haven't heard anything about new 13" MBPs. :idk:

Current as in 2012 MBPs?

Edit** nm, the 13" has the dual icores, the 15 and 17 have the quad

Yup - I'd actually prefer a 13", which is what my current MB is (early '08 2.1GHz C2D), but I want as much CPU power as I can afford, which means a i7 quad if at all possible, and they currently don't offer that CPU in the 13" models. :(

• Members

i think they're axing one of the screen sizes. i can't remember if its the 13" or the 17" There is rumored to be some sort of redesign with a fusion between air and macbook pro models. the newest macbook pro will not have an optical drive and should see the addition of usb 3. It will also be ivy bridge. I have the most recent mbp. I would honestly hold off on the newest model of a redesign. there are always bugs.

If i were you, I'd purchase one from the current generation and then sell it in a year or so once there is a refresh

i think they're axing one of the screen sizes. i can't remember if its the 13" or the 17" There is rumored to be some sort of redesign with a fusion between air and macbook pro models. the newest macbook pro will not have an optical drive and should see the addition of usb 3. It will also be ivy bridge. I have the most recent mbp. I would honestly hold off on the newest model of a redesign. there are always bugs.

If i were you, I'd purchase one from the current generation and then sell it in a year or so once there is a refresh

An alternative perspective - nice. :)

And there is the concern about it needing to play nice with Pro Tools - which they don't always do right off the bat when they're first released.

• Members

It will also be about 4-5 months till there will be refurbished ones of the new mbp that is soon to be released. That's was a big determining factor for me. I just bought a refurbished mbp. The 13" i7. And for the specs I wanted I would have to spend a lot more money on the new one to compare then I did on this one.

It will also be about 4-5 months till there will be refurbished ones of the new mbp that is soon to be released. That's was a big determining factor for me. I just bought a refurbished mbp. The 13" i7. And for the specs I wanted I would have to spend a lot more money on the new one to compare then I did on this one.

How peppy is that dual core i7? Are you digging it? :)

• Members

I have a 13'' MBP with dual i7, 2.7, and 8gb ram. Pretty good, haven't put it through too much in terms of recording. When I get some money I plan on putting a 128 or may a little larger, SSD in there and doing the optical drive/stock hard drive swap so I'll boot and run Ableton Live off the SSD and keep samples and other goodies on the stock HD which is 500gb.

I'm very interested in going over to SSDs eventually. I used to use RAM discs back in the day, so I totally understand the concept and the speed benefits. However, there may be some compatibility issues with some software... I'm not sure if the sustained throughput rates of the SSDs can keep up with high multitrack audio track counts. I'd also want to make sure that Logic, PT and Ableton (or whatever other software I was going to run) was approved to run from a SSD... but they were, the potential benefits are significant.

Archived