The Stone Roses Actually Do It

• Members

and I don't hear anything about it at all (here). I think the fact that they all actually got on stage together and did a decent job of it in 2012 is an achievement.

They really were an important band that really blew it - I hope they keep it together.

Does anyone else care? I do. They never toured the US properly. I hope that they can stretch all of this out into a real US tour.

MBV seems to be the current obsession for the kids around here. I managed to be a fan when Loveless was born. Still didn't change everything like SR did with that first record.

• Members

I didn't get the hype first time round, and don't get it this time either. No denying their importance, but it was Oasis who did it more for me (who obv might not have had their success if it hadn't been for SR). I was maybe JUST too young for SR first time round, but any time I've tried to listen to them since, it just doesnt do anything for me at all.

I loved the Seahorses stuff though, and people don't understand why I don't like the Roses second album at least, as this seems to be a transition between the two bands, in terms of guitar work.

Not liking Ian Brown at all might have a lot to do with it I guess!

• Members

At least for me. I never saw the first time around. I saw

MBV when they came to US in 2009, ive seen Spiritualized, the cure, yo la tengo, etc.

Would love to see the house of love...

I too would love to see House of Love. Always amazed they don't get talked about more.

• Members

I'm not sure I get the comparison here. The Stone Roses were/are a life-changing, genre-making band. Suede is Suede. They were on the cover of NME and have a handful of good songs.

it's just two British bands from around the same time who I've read many times are amazing, but I've listened to their records and couldn't find anything amazing in them.

• Members

it's just two British bands from around the same time who I've read many times are amazing, but I've listened to their records and couldn't find anything amazing in them.

To each its own.

• Members

Love the Stone Roses! Wish they would tour the states but I doubt they ever will.

Just listened to Suede's first album and I thought it was pretty damn good....love the use of strings: secret to Suede is to listen to them before you Youtube them.

Cool Britannia And The Spectacular Demise Of English Rock is a great book for anybody interested in this time frame of British music.

• Members

Got massively into them around '97/'98. I used to listen to Mary Anne Hobbs late night on Radio 1 and those shows introduced me to so much great music (and Bill Hicks too). It was all over for the Roses by then of course. I've seen Ian Brown live a couple of times over the years and thought his third solo album, 'Music of the Spheres', was solid. I was at the gig when he first brought Roses songs into his sets. I always thought he had plenty of strong material spread across his solo albums.

Me and some old college friends are going to the Friday night at Heaton Park. Of course they've subsequently signed for just about every European festival going!

They did a not-so-secret warm-up gig in Warrington a couple of weeks ago:

[video=youtube;GPhXfxgHuIQ]

[video=youtube;jn8T7CcoYZU]

• Members

The Stone Roses was an outstanding album, and very era defining, but always thought the SR's rated themselves too highly - hence never following it up with something better, or even as good.

Why shouldn't they have a comeback - there are lots of inferior bands plugging themselves. Mani did great things with Primal Scream as well.

• Members

I was around for the first run for a lot of these bands ... hard to take them out of context (Thatcher's England; commercial radio post-Haircut 100 yet pre-Nirvana) and explain them. Madchester (with which the Roses shared certain beats and a timeframe) was also about a very specific drug experience, in large part.

Anyhow, the House of Love were utterly brilliant, but Guy was difficult and Bickers was really, really difficult as a personality (I know the latter first-hand). There were other issues (difficulty of breaking UK acts in the US; being signed to Fontana), but the HoL were HUGE in England around the turn of the 90's. I hear the immediate appeal of "Christine" (the best song William Reid probably wishes he'd written and performed, and I'm a huge JAMC fan), but here are my absolute fave HoL toonz:

* "Beatles And The Stones." A little something for everyone - nods to pop cultural history; well-done samples for the intro accents; a truly gorgeous tone on the lead guitar ("pure phase" to quote another great English guitar god of the time); a wonderful and original melody with a false decay.

* "Shine On." Every band needs a loud anthem. But this is so much more sophisticated (and accomplished) than "Cigarettes And Alcohol" it's amazing.

* "Love In A Car." Here's where the HoL mania hits my mainline: psychedelic swirl and tons of delay/reverb? Check. Insanely romantic, yet also totally cool and in command? Check. Great performances from all directions (vox, guitars, bass, drums)? Check. And Guy Chadwick's capacity for loading emotion into a melody at its peak.

* "Marble." Along with Bauhaus' "Bela Lugosi's Dead," one of the best uses of delay you'll ever hear.

Fans of House of Love may wish to check out a few of the following (suggestion for 'gateway drug' songs in parens):

- Biff Bang Pow ('There Must Be A Better Life,' 'She's Got Diamonds In Her Hair')

- Felt ('Spanish House,' 'Primitive Painters' [has Liz Fraser from Cocteau Twins on lovely vox],

- the Monochrome Set ('House Of God,' 'Love Goes Down The Drain')

- the Jasmine Minks ('Cut Me Deep')

- and for {censored}'s sake, LISTEN TO MCCARTHY if you can find them. "Should the Bible Be Banned" and "We're All Bourgeois Now" are insanely beautiful pieces of jangly late-80's UK indie rock (meant in the British sense of that term).

Archived