The New Look of My Jazzmaster

V

• Members

So, when putting together a total partscaster strat dubbed the fhole (pictured below):

fhole2.jpg

I had gotten a very cheap white strat pickguard and decided to paint it black. However, living in NYC at the time, I didn't have anyplace to spray paint. So, I decided to use some of the paint pens I use to label controls, etc on the Shoe pedals and do sort of an "impressionist" black. This wound up looking much better than I expected because the texture and pattern of the strokes just gives sort of a depth and impression of motion to the thing that both follows the lines designed into the guitar and also kind of reminds me of picking motions. In other words, it looks pretty cool:

fhole_1.jpg

So, not being a huge fan of tortoise shell I picked up a white and a black pickguard for my AVRI Jazzmaster and neither one really looked quite right to me. White was too Johnny Marr. Solid black is cool, but most of my guitars have solid black guards. So I decided to paint the white one in a similar fashion to the one on the f-hole strat.

Full_2.jpg

Detail.jpg

Full_1.jpg

I like it, anyway. To be honest I rarely feel comfortable with a guitar until I've taken it apart and messed around a bit. It doesn't have to be something big. Somehow just changing out the pickguard to one I scribbled on seems to have me playing the guitar with a lot more enthusiasm. Ok, to be fair I also adjusted the neck angle a bit.

Anyway, CSB.

• Members

Never met a permanent marker applied to plastic that didn't come of on my hands -- other than that, it is cool.

That's why I didn't use permanent marker. It's oil paint. It is just applied through a pen-style applicator. It's the kind of thing people use for graffiti.

• Members

Van Gogh'd.

looks cool.
:thu:

Yeah, ha ha. I got to see starry night in person once, actually. The "stars" are actually achieved with a similar effect. They are uncovered spots of canvas. The paint on that thing is amazing. It's very thick and looks like it was applied in a fit of madness.

• Members

Yeah, ha ha. I got to see starry night in person once, actually. The "stars" are actually achieved with a similar effect. They are uncovered spots of canvas. The paint on that thing is amazing. It's very thick and looks like it was applied in a fit of madness.

its because there are liek 6 paintings under it layer after layer of different things

• Members

Is the bridge pickup in that Strat from those old Univoxes? What's it like?

Yes. It's an awesome pickup. Very ballsy but also clear. Actually, if you want to hear both guitars together they're the ones used here:

http://venter.bandcamp.com/track/no-future

JM is the main rhythm part.

Strat (on the uivox pickup) is the noise lead and heavy rhythm guitar during the "solo."

Archived