Debating selling my Space. Who else has gone this route?

• Members

So, long story short, I've had tons of time over the past week to play guitar. I set up most of my pedals, and just started playing along with songs on my iTunes, and I started noticing some interesting trends. For instance, with the Eventide Space, I hardly ever deviate away from the Hall and Room settings. There are 100 presets on this thing, and I use 2 of them consistently.

I love my Dr. Scientist Mini-RRR, and I'm debating switching back to it, and selling the Space. In theory, I love the versatility of the Space, but I just haven't found myself using anything other than some basic settings. I'm sure some of you guys have gone the same route. Happy after selling your Space, and switching back to something more basic? I'm just wondering if I'll miss the options once they're gone. haha

One thing I had noticed, is that I barely use my EHX Ring Thing also. When I do deviate from a standard reverb on the Space, it's typically for the Shimmer setting, and when I use the Ring Thing it's normally for a pitch shifting effect. I'm wondering if I'd be better served to sell the Ring Thing and Space, and to pick up a Pitchfactor, and go back to my RRR?

TL;DR - Who else has given up the versatility of the Space, and gone back to something with less flexibility?

Also, is RRR + Pitchfactor > Space + Ring Thing?

• Members

This happens with a ton of eventide peds. They spen the 500 on the pitchfactor and space, and here's what happens. They realize those cool settings are never used because they are practical lol.

I sold like five pedals thinking the pitchfactor would help. Same {censored} happens dude. Everyone who buys the pitchfactor loves it, but it's really not worth the 2 settings most people use and keep it for. Get the new whammy

• Members

i've never owned any of those mega super computer delay or reverbs or what have you like the timeline or space. the space certainly sounds incredible and can do tons of cool {censored}, but i would never, ever use all that. ever. fortunately i have realized this before spending that kind of money on one of those. they certainly are tempting. but it's just not practicle for me to think i'm going to write songs that need that many presets or those kind of options. crazy reverbs are fun to play with, but mostly i'm just going to use one or two reverb sounds. same with delay. and that many modulation and pitch shifting options just means i'd be overdoing it on those kind of effects. just give me a great sounding pedal, maybe if it has one or two presets that's cool, but i don't even need that really.

people playing other kinds of music than i do could have a lot more use for something like that. but i think most folks really aren't going to use those pedals for what they're worth.

• Members

Also, keep in mind you came to this conclusion while playing along to songs in iTunes, never know if you might want/need the diverse array of settings in the Space for a future song idea. I don't own a Space, but I'd imagine that just browsing through some of those sounds would get my brain bubblin'.

• Members

I think a lot of people will be selling their space for a Flint in the next couple of months because the Flint is a lot simpler to use and purists will argue that the Space doesn't have an all analog dry path, this is what happened with the Time Factor and the Time Line. The truth is they are totally different pedals, Eventide is the master in high quality digital units with a ton of options. If you don't like options, tweaking, etc... then it's not for you.

• Members

Yeah. I mean, I've owned this thing for probably 6 months or so, and the fact that I still only use like 2 settings is sort of what bugged me. Haha. I mean, yeah, every once in awhile I like to go through all the settings and just mess around, but most of them don't seem practical. When I'd try to use this thing in my band, it was difficult because I'd spend time at home programming patches that would work, only to find out that when I played with the band, things would sound too muddy, or the decay would be too long with everyone else playing, etc. And since there were so many options, it was hard to quickly and easily edit/change patches without making the band stand around while I tweaked with knobs. I guess for reverb, maybe I just am a bit too much of a creature of habit.

And I've owned a Pitchfactor before, and it turned into the same thing. All those crazy effects sound great to me in theory, but in application, I hardly ever use any of them, and then I get mad that I have a $400 pedal that just sits on my board, being used once a set, maybe. Haha.

Creative use of effects: I suck at it. :lol:

Maybe this is why the more I downsize my pedalboard, the happier I am? Haha. I love the idea of all these crazy effects, but in reality, I'm much happier having fewer options, and having to stretch those farther.

• Members

don't sell it unless you plan on upgrading to a rack unit. dont you have keys around to use it on? it really is the end all be all of reverbs in a pedal format in my opinion. Anything else is really a downgrade, (but I love the {censored} out of the RRR so I understand the predicament)

• Members

Sold my space and ordered a Flint. It's wasn't an issue of not using all the settings on the Space for me but really I just thought it didn't sound very natural. That very well might be due to the digital dry path which I didn't know about until later. We'll see how the Flint fares, but i am picky about reverb sounds and, so far, it sounds the most natural to me out of the pedals I've heard. The Spring Theory also sounds good to me too, though.

• Members

I use the Space on my gigging board. I have gone on record saying for all the tweak ability it never gets crazy enough. I basically have three custom patches I use regularly... I favor the trem verb and mangle verb models... That said if I want killer trem or verb I rely on my Malekko Trem and Spring Chicken... The Space handles some *wacky* stuff. If I didn't want the periodic wacky stuff I would ditch the Space. It can't touch my Malekko stuff in terms of vibe / sound.

• Members

I use the Space on my gigging board. I have gone on record saying for all the tweak ability it never gets crazy enough. I basically have three custom patches I use regularly... I favor the trem verb and mangle verb models... That said if I want killer trem or verb I rely on my Malekko Trem and Spring Chicken... The Space handles some *wacky* stuff. If I didn't want the periodic wacky stuff I would ditch the Space. It can't touch my Malekko stuff in terms of vibe / sound.

Yeah. Sounds like you're sort of on the same page as me, except with the Spring Chicken instead of the RRR. Except I'm not really using any of the whacky sounds at all. Haha.

• Members

I still want someone to make a convolution reverb pedal with impulse import functions. Perfectspace is by far the best sounding reverb I've ever used but it's only a vst plugin.

• Members

I agree with a lot of the thoughts in here. And Blake -- I had essentially the same experience that you did... dropped "down" to the BSR and have gotten along mostly alright since I was only using a few presets that were basically variations on the same 2 or 3 sounds.

There were other contributiting factors that others have touched on (not crazy enough; SAL... audio quality; V) but just not needing that much was the primary reason for getting away from the SPACE.

• Members

Sell it. You're not really using it for the most part, so go back to the RRR, you'll probably be happier and maybe have extra $ too.

Definitely leaning this way. I want to give myself a few hours tomorrow to just toy around with the Space though, and see how I feel after playing with it more. Sort of force myself to experiment with it, but if I just don't bond with it, it may have to go.

• Members

I came to the realization a while ago that less is often more. I didn't buy into the Space or Timeline hype not because they aren't great pedals, I'm sure they are, but that I wouldn't use a lot of the features, and/or spend more time tweaking than playing.

The RRR is a great sounding pedal, had one once, wouldn't mind one again if it comes in stereo. I like the HoF a lot, has more than enough options for me, but not too many. If I get another reverb pedal, it will be the Wet Stereo.

• Members

I tested that theory recently, Ian. Thought that since the Space-to-BSR thing was going so well, I'd try out Timeline-to-ElCap. Didn't work. At all. I mean, the El Cap has some great stuff.... but it wasn't enough. Not by a longshot. At least not for me.

• Members

Yeah. I've noticed that the more I dumb down my board, the happier I normally am. The exception is tap-tempo. I need tap tempo on my delays. But yeah. My favorite board with my band was just a DM-2 clone, fuzz, phaser, solo boost, and El Cap. Everything at my finger tips, nothing I didn't use, and if I wanted to make different sounds, I had to try and find a way to do it with my set up. I like the challenge of doing more with less, I think. I just tweak way too much when given options. :lol:

Archived