OT: Recording

• Members

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Where do I even start? I just want something stupid simple, so I can record some stuff for poops and gigs. I think I'd like something that doesn't have to be plugged into the computer in order to record, but can upload to a computer so that I can share music in different types of media/formats.

Any recommendations?

I got one of these
ZOOM R8
. its a 8 track no computer needed, and it can do computer stuff, if you wanna do that down the road, its not half bad. $300 new
:idk:

That looks like a great "entry to recording" type product. Can't do much in terms of live drums with only two channels / tracks at a time, but as an arrangement, demo and songwriting tool, it's looks great. :)

I've never really messed with the Zoom recorders. How's the user interface on it - is it easy to use?

• Members

Phil while you're here anyway can I hijack the thread and ask what your thoughts are on summing through a desk instead of in the box? Sorry to go all gearslutz on you... I ask because I tried bussing things out through my desk and recording the mix back into the computer. And I quite liked it, felt a bit clearer.

• Members
That looks like a great entry to recording type product. Can't do much in terms of live drums with only two channels / tracks at a time, but as an arrangement, demo and songwriting tool, it's looks great.
:)

I've never really messed with the Zoom recorders. How's the user interface on it - is it easy to use?

oh yeah its easy to use. That is the appeal of this unit, to me. Basic 8 track, with drums, ideal for some one like me who isn't going to have a live drummer.i play bass, guitar, and keyboard. The amp models and effects aren't anything to write home about. But for late night, or just catching an idea, they are decent. You have some basic editing as well, looping, reverse, trimming the wav files. Plus impoting these into a DAW is really simple. Its a pretty smooth transition from something I recorded on this, to putting that into cubase, and getting a more robust song out of it. Once you get to the DAW stage, its a alright audio interface & contol surface. Pretty basic again, but all I need at the moment. Its has a footswitch input, so I use that a bit for punch in punch out while recording in cubase. All and all I'm happy I choose this. Sometimes I dont want want to hook up all my crap, and get out the computer to hash out a melody. This is quick and dirty. In fact last night I spent time clearing it out, I had it filled up again. Just poped the sd card out, backed the files up on the computer, and erased. Cant get more convient then that.

The on board mics are really crude, I never use them.

"I'm so proud of it, I put my name on it!"

:lol: Aah! It's been ages since I've seen a Foreman grill commercial, and I had forgotten the catchphrase. :o

Also, he looks a little like you.
;)

I'm tellin' ya - all of us dudes with shaved heads look alike, don't we? ;)

In what way exactly? Do they distort easily?

From the looks of it, they're probably super cheap electret condensers, similar to the Panasonic WM-61a, which are commonly used by DIY mic hobbyists. Nothing to write home about... fairly noisy, decent output, less than totally satisfying ultra low frequencies, easily overloaded with high SPLs, but not completely horrible, and at a couple - few bucks each, they're cheap enough to experiment with without costing too much. The preamp matters in terms of the sound too, and you can't expect too much at that price point.... still, for throwing down a quick acoustic guitar / vocal songwriting idea, I would hope it would work... but I'd never expect the onboard mikes to replace the desire / need for those XLR jacks and good external mikes.

• Members

From the looks of it, they're probably super cheap electret condensers, similar to the Panasonic WM-61a, which are commonly used by DIY mic hobbyists. Nothing to write home about... fairly noisy, decent output, less than totally satisfying ultra low frequencies, easily overloaded with high SPLs, but not completely horrible, and at a couple - few bucks each, they're cheap enough to experiment with without costing too much. The preamp matters in terms of the sound too, and you can't expect too much at that price point.... still, for throwing down a quick acoustic guitar / vocal songwriting idea, I would hope it would work... but I'd never expect the onboard mikes to replace the desire / need for those XLR jacks and good external mikes.

Pretty much nail on the head here. Basically, you should get a microphone with this unit.

Phil while you're here anyway can I hijack the thread and ask what your thoughts are on summing through a desk instead of in the box? Sorry to go all gearslutz on you... I ask because I tried bussing things out through my desk and recording the mix back into the computer. And I quite liked it, felt a bit clearer.

I use a digital mixer and a hybrid approach to summing. Part of my mix is ITB - I use the Pro Tools automation rather extensively... but it all goes out of a pair of 16 channel HD interfaces (some tracks on discrete channels, and others sent as stereo stems or submixes) to my Yamaha 01V96 digital board - from there, I can use the four onboard effects processors, route things to outboard stuff via aux sends (and send it to my cue system), as well as send a S/PDIF stereo out to a second computer for the stereo mix file.

I like this system because it's 100% recallable. Resetting the board to what we had at last month's session is a piece of cake - just recall the board settings and load the Pro Tools session.

Do I like big old analog boards? You bet! But it's not cost effective for me to own one.

• Members

I have a Fostex 16 track. Can do everything on there but can dump to computer at the same time if you want. 4 inputs, easy interface. I recorded my band's songs on a split we just did. I did everything with 4 mics. Barely did any eq in the comp afterwards. I was gonna get the Zoom, but the layout on these looked a hell of a lot easier. You can check it out here:

http://divinemotherrecordings.bandcamp.com/album/grievances-quiet-hands-split

Sorry if you think this is spam Phil. If you want I'll take down the link. I just wanted to give him an idea of what these little recorders can do. Got it for $300 and it has a built in cd burner on it.

Archived