Your TV Mentor...Who was it?

lefort_1

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For my generation, growing up among the dairies and orange groves of the far distant reaches of LA County in the 1960s, it was Captain Kangaroo (Bob Keeshan) and a local guy who went by the stage name of Sheriff John (John Rovick).

sheriffjohnhead.jpg

Fred Rogers was right on the edge - I was jut a bit too old to fit his target audience by the time he first hit TV in 1968. Sesame Street, The Electric Company and shows like that were not really something I was aware of until I was a bit older too. Yeah, I can remember seeing them late in elementary school, but by that time, I was reading at mid-high school grade level, so my interests really were beyond what those shows offered by that point. :o

Bozo The Clown. Detroit represent!

Oh yeah - we had Bozo on TV when I was a kid too. There was also a local lady named Sally Baker who did a character called Hobo Kelly, although I don't think it was ever syndicated or franchised like Bozo was.

Remember this fad from the 80s? :lol:

FR_Kramer_advert2.jpg

Was Bozo from Detroit? Man, we had Bozo when I was growing up in central Illinois. Dude was the reason I was afraid of clowns.
:lol:

Bozo was one of the earlier shows to be franchised in different markets. That's different from syndication, where you do the show once and then license it for broadcast to multiple stations. Instead, a franchise allows them to have different Bozos and different regionally / locally produced versions of the show - one in each different TV market - Des Moines, Chicago, LA, etc.

This is why there are still so many Bozos in the word today. ;)

• Members

Bozo was one of the earlier shows to be franchised in different markets. That's different from syndication, where you do the show once and then license it for broadcast to multiple stations. Instead, a franchise allows them to have different Bozos and different regionally / locally produced versions of the show - one in each different TV market - Des Moines, Chicago, LA, etc.

This is why there are still so many Bozos in the word today.
;)

Got it! I had forgotten all about Bozo, since I don't think I'd seen him since I was like 4. I definitely didn't know about franchising then. haha

• Members

Was Bozo from Detroit? Man, we had Bozo when I was growing up in central Illinois. Dude was the reason I was afraid of clowns.
:lol:

Chicago - but he was syndicated in Detroit. Detroit had Oopsy The Clown who was no Bozo.

I actually was on The Bozo Show when I was a kid visiting family in Chicago. Picked me out of the audience and I got to sing 'Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer' with him. Launched my musical career it did.

lol

Archived