Got a line on a Princeton... Advice?

• Members

I've got a line on an 81 push/pull boost Princeton here. I've been looking for one or a Deluxe Reverb for a while now to fit between my Champ 600 and my Marshall stack. Something that would work for small gigs but with a little more power than the Champ.

I have a TRRI that I never play because it's just too darn loud. I've offered it for trade for this Princeton, or my Silverface VibroChamp plus the MIA Bullet in my sig. The guy is asking $800 for the Princeton, and I've got about that much or less in both of these offerings.

What do you guys think? Would you do it?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Late 70's Pull-boost models typically go for around $600-800 if they're in good condition, but are you sure it's the typical Princeton Reverb Silverface that everyone raves about or it the Rivera Era blackface cosmetics? I'm pretty sure the Rivera had done the revamp by 81 so it might be a little different. If it sounds good go for it though.

• Members

Late 70's Pull-boost models typically go for around $600-800 if they're in good condition, but are you sure it's the typical Princeton Reverb Silverface that everyone raves about or it the Rivera Era blackface cosmetics? I'm pretty sure the Rivera had done the revamp by 81 so it might be a little different. If it sounds good go for it though.

Its got the blackface cosmetics, but supposedly has the Silverface circuitry. How would I be able to tell the difference?

The guy said it had just been gone through and Has had the following replaced:

1 EH 5U4GB rectifier tube

2 EH 6v6 power tubes

3 Tung Sol 12AX7s

1 NOS Phillips 12AT7

• Members

Phil says make sure it has footswitch if its a princeton II, when I asked about that amp. Drops the price to $5 to 6 hundred. That what I recall him saying

It says Princeton Reverb on the face, not Princeton II, but thanks for the tip! It doesn't show a foot switch in the pics of the amp. I was reading over that recent thread last night!

• Members

Hmmm I have no idea then haha. The Fender Field amp guide says Rivera Era Princeton II started in 82 so yours should be a silver face, but its obviously easy to buy a $20 blackface panel off ebay.

Also if yours has a tube rectifier you may have found your self a decent deal. If it was rivera era it'd be a solid state rectifier and have a 12" speaker.

Either way I'd check it out, make sure it's got original guts and a decent speaker. I wouldn't say an '81 is worth $800 though. Probably more like $600

Its got the blackface cosmetics, but supposedly has the Silverface circuitry. How would I be able to tell the difference?

The guy said it had just been gone through and Has had the following replaced:

1 EH 5U4GB rectifier tube

You can stop right there. :) If it has a rectifier tube in it, then it's an '81 or earlier. In '82, with the Princeton Reverb II, the rectifier is internal and solid state. Since Fender switched back to blackface cosmetics for '80-'81, we know that this amp is an '80-'81... which is no different than a '79 except for the color of the front plate. Internally it's a late 70s / early 80s "silverface" Princeton, which is not a heck of a lot different than any other SF Princeton, except for the addition of the pull boost circuit on the volume knob.

Good amps, but for whatever reason, they seem to be the bastard children of all Princetons. Slightly interesting since they were the last year and a half or so of the old amps prior to the arrival of the II series, and also because of their black face plates (which only ran for that brief time), but from the absolute ebb point of Fender's history in terms of quality and reputation IMO. It's a Princeton, so they're generally good amps, but they're not particularly collectable or anything like that. Expect to pay what you would for any late period SF Princeton in similar condition.

• Members
You can stop right there.
:)
If it has a rectifier tube in it, then it's an '81 or earlier. In '82, with the Princeton Reverb II, the rectifier is internal and solid state. Since Fender switched back to blackface cosmetics for '80-'81, we know that this amp is an '80-'81... which is no different than a '79 except for the color of the front plate. Internally it's a late 70s / early 80s "silverface" Princeton, which is not a heck of a lot different than any other SF Princeton, except for the addition of the pull boost circuit on the volume knob.

Good amps, but for whatever reason, they seem to be the bastard children of all Princetons. Slightly interesting since they were the last year and a half or so of the old amps prior to the arrival of the II series, and also because of their black face plates (which only ran for that brief time), but from the absolute ebb point of Fender's history in terms of quality and reputation IMO. It's a Princeton, so they're generally good amps, but they're not particularly collectable or anything like that. Expect to pay what you would for any late period SF Princeton in similar condition.

Thanks for the reply Phil! It's not like the TRRI will become any more collectible than the Princeton I seek, right? I just want a good medium wattage tube amp with a reverb, and tremolo. Would it be anymore problematic than any other Silverface Princeton?

Thanks for the reply Phil! It's not like the TRRI will become any more collectible than the Princeton I seek, right? I just want a good medium wattage tube amp with a reverb, and tremolo. Would it be anymore problematic than any other Silverface Princeton?

No, I really wouldn't expect it to be any less reliable than any other SF Princeton. All the ones that were going to have early failures have already done so long ago. :)

I suspect it would be slightly more collectable than the TRRI. It will also be a heck of a lot less loud. :lol: I'd consider a Princeton to be a low-medium powered amp... closer to the low side of that. Typically they're 12W - Fender's calling the new ones 15W, but we always thought of them as 12W amps back in the day. :idk: A Princeton can be a nearly ideal amp for home use, recording and small gigs. Their loudness will largely depend on the efficiency of the speaker, but good replacement 10" speakers are easy to get and not terribly expensive, and if you have a fairly efficient speaker in it, she'll get pretty darned loud.

The tremolo and especially the reverb, are as good as it gets. You should be very pleased with the sound of both. :)

• Members

I have a late 70s/early 80s silverface princteon with the push pulll and its a great sounding amp. Really the best sounding amp i have but it just doesnt get used a lot. For some reason the taper on the volume pot in these is really sensitive though. There is not a lot accessible clean head room due the sensitivity of the pot unless you have a good touch. It goes from clean on 1 to crunchy on 2. The clean you can get is great though and the crunch sounds fantastic as well. You just dont have the physical control that a lot of other amps have. I had my amp tech look at it and he said its just the value of the pot and there is nothing he could really do besides completely replace it. Just something to think about if you are figuring on playing live with it.

but yeah id say get it if you can get it cheap enough!

• Members

No, I really wouldn't expect it to be any less reliable than any other SF Princeton. All the ones that were going to have early failures have already done so long ago.

I suspect it would be slightly more collectable than the TRRI. It will also be a heck of a lot less loud.
:lol:
I'd consider a Princeton to be a low-medium powered amp... closer to the low side of that. Typically they're 12W - Fender's calling the new ones 15W, but we always thought of them as 12W amps back in the day.
:idk:
A Princeton can be a nearly ideal amp for home use, recording and small gigs. Their loudness will largely depend on the efficiency of the speaker, but good replacement 10" speakers are easy to get and not terribly expensive, and if you have a fairly efficient speaker in it, she'll get pretty darned loud.

The tremolo and especially the reverb, are as good as it gets. You should be very pleased with the sound of both.

Awesome. This sounds great to me. I just don't need the power that the Twin has. I will never be playing stadiums, so the idea of lower power suits me. It will be used for small gigs, and recording, so that sounds perfect. I hope I can put this trade together!

• Members

I have a late 70s/early 80s silverface princteon with the push pulll and its a great sounding amp. Really the best sounding amp i have but it just doesnt get used a lot. For some reason the taper on the volume pot in these is really sensitive though. There is not a lot accessible clean head room due the sensitivity of the pot unless you have a good touch. It goes from clean on 1 to crunchy on 2. The clean you can get is great though and the crunch sounds fantastic as well. You just dont have the physical control that a lot of other amps have. I had my amp tech look at it and he said its just the value of the pot and there is nothing he could really do besides completely replace it. Just something to think about if you are figuring on playing live with it.

but yeah id say get it if you can get it cheap enough!

Well, I don't mind the dirt. I can get a suitable clean sound all day long out of my VibroChamp, even dimed... And my Marshall 6100's clean channel works for really loud stuff. This will be a good midrange choice hopefully, and I don't mind having to dial back a bit on my volume knob to clean the amp up. That concept works for me!

Thanks for the reply. I'd expect to not get any $ off on it since I'm trying to trade... Either way, I will be able to justify the trade unless it's just a total POS... :lol:

Archived