please help ---gig rack

woodtone

• Members

ok, here my question.

i'm running an acoustic electric and a mic into a pv 8 mixer. on my miniscule rack i just installed an art fxr multieffects . i now want to install a dbx266xs compressor that way i can smooth out the guitar level and set up the vocal in front. the question is : do i need to have a patch bay to connect the compressor and the efx processor to the mixer or is there a way to piggybac the three pieces of gear .( mixer, efx processor and compressor.

in need of a little advice,

thanks friends:

• Members

I imagine that you want to run both guitar and vox through the comp? If so, then run the guitar through the FX, then through the comp channel one in and out to the mixer, and run the mic through channel two.

Like this:

Guitar > FX > Comp channel one > mixer channel one

Mic > Comp chan 2 > Mix chan 2.

Hope I could help, please let me know if I misunderstood you.

Your dbx is a two channel unit. You can use one channel on the guitar, and the other one on the vocal.

Here's how I'd recommend you connect it:

Get yourself two 1/4" TRS to 1/4" TS Y cables. It's important that the cable splits the TRS into separate TS outputs, not just duplicate TRS jacks.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/live-wire-trsm-dual-1-4f-y-cable

DV016_Jpg_Large_331081.104_6in.jpg

You'll need two of those - one for each channel of the compressor.

Let's assume you have the guitar going into channel 1 of your PV 8, and your vocal into channel 2.

DV016_Jpg_Large_631367_top.jpg

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/peavey-pv8-mixer

Plug one of the Y cables into the Insert jack of channel one on your board - it's a bit below the XLR jack for channel 1. Use two 1/4" TS (guitar style) cables to connect the two jacks at the end of the short Y to the 1/4" inputs and outputs for channel 1 on the back of your dbx 266xs. You'll probably need to put that switch on the back of the dbx to the -10dBV setting too. If it overloads, set it to the +4 setting.

Which jack goes to which? You've got a 50/50 change of getting it right - if the meters on the front of the compressor doesn't show you some activity when you're playing or singing, you've got it backwards - that won't hurt anything - just flip 'em. :lol: It's probably the red (tip) jack for the send (output from the board) and black (ring) for the return, but to be honest, I have no idea how Peavey wires their insert jacks - it's one or the other though.

Now do the same thing for channel 2; connecting the insert point of channel 2 on the PV 8 to channel two on the dbx. :)

Make sure the Stereo Couple button on the front panel of the dbx is NOT engaged.

Each channel of the dbx now corresponds with a channel on your mixing board - channel 1 of the board is connected to channel one of the dbx, and channel 2 of the board is connected to channel two of the dbx. This will allow you to control the compression of the guitar and vocal separately. Don't forget - your output levels will now also be dependent on the dbx's controls, as well as the controls on the mixer - gain staging will be important, as always! When it's connected like this, the signal comes into the board, hits the mic preamp, then usually gets sent right to the insert... we're then running it into the compressor, and back to the board via the Y cable. After it returns to the board, it goes through the rest of the signal path - EQs, etc. - just like it usually does - we're just "inserting" or "patching" (connecting) a compressor into the board's signal path between the preamp and EQ via the Insert jack.

Now, let's get to that effects unit. :)

While you could also run a multi effects processor "pre-fader" or inline like that, the usual way to do it is with the board's aux sends and returns. The PV 8 only has a single post-fader aux send, so it only has that single mono effects send.

Here's how to set that up with the PV 8:

Plug a 1/4 cable from the Efx Send jack to the Left (mono) input of your ART FXR.

Use a pair of 1/4" cables to connect the ART's L/R output jacks to the PV 8's two effects return jacks, or alternatively, to two channels on the mixing board - one of the stereo channels (5/6 or 7/8) would be a good choice. This option allows you to send the reverb to the monitors and EQ it if so desired.

Now, by using the orange Post / Efx knobs, you can control how much of each board channel you're sending into the ART effects processor. By raising the return channel's fader (or, if you're using the efx return jacks, by adjusting the Efx Return control, located near the headphone jack), you can control how much of the effects you "bring back into" the mix. Make sure you have the master Efx Aux control (the orange knob furthest to the right) turned up too. If you're using one of the stereo channels (5/6, 7/8) for the effect return, be VERY CAREFUL not to turn up the red Post / Efx send knob on that return channel, or you'll create a feedback loop.

In theory, you could also use the Monitor out and the red Mon knobs as your sends, but those controls are normally pre-fader. What does that mean - pre-fader vs post-fader? With pre-fader sends, the send level remains constant - at whatever level you have the knob set - regardless of how soft or loud the main channel fader is set. With a post-fader send, that send level is relative to the main channel's output level - as you turn the main fader up or down, it has an effect on the amount of signal that gets sent out the aux. This is generally the preferred approach for effects sends,. As you turn the channel's main Level or volume knob or fader up or down, the ratio or amount of effect send changes accordingly - this way, the reverb stays at the same level relative to the main signal, even when that main level is changed - fade out that channel completely, and the reverb will fade out with it. In contrast, a pre-fader send is generally better for monitors, since it allows the stage monitor level to stay constant so the musicians can hear themselves, regardless of how much of their signal is being amplified into the main FOH (front of house) PA system as part of the house mix. Turning down the main level control has no affect on a pre-fader send - its level remains constant, even if the main volume control is turned all the way down.

Let's suppose you're already using another effects unit with the post fader aux send and return. If you're also already using the monitor aux send and output for... monitors... :lol: and you wanted to add an additional effect device to the setup, then your only remaining option is to also run the ART in-line. Since that's not really a unit that supports discrete channels like the dbx does, you'd really only be able to use it on one channel or the other, and only in mono.* Here's how I'd recommend doing that:

Once you have the dbx working, and you know which channel and which cables are which, unplug the output cable at the back of the dbx from whichever channel you want to use the effect on. Let's assume it's the guitar you want to use it with, so sticking with our earlier example, channel 1. Unplug the out cable from the dbx, and plug that cable into the left output jack on the back of the ART. Now take another 1/4" TS (guitar type) cable and plug one end of it into the input on the ART, and the other end of it into the dbx's channel 1 output jack.

What we've done is connect the ART to our external loop. The signal now comes into the mixer channel 1, hits the preamp, goes out the insert jack and into the compressor, out of the compressor and into the ART, out of the ART and back to the return part of the insert jack and on to the rest of the board. By adjusting the controls on the ART, you can control the wet / dry mix - the balance of direct guitar or vocal signal (depending on what's plugged into that channel) and the effect.

Those are your main options as I see them. I hope this helps. Let me know if you need further explanation or clarification on anything. :wave:

* Actually, I lied. :o If you really want a stereo effect return and you have it patched inline like that, you can connect it exactly as I described, but by using a second cable (connected from the ART's Right output) connected to another line input channel on the board, you can get both the left and right returns back to the board. Since they'll be coming back in on separate channels, the levels will have to be matched manually though.

• Members

wow phil,

that sure is a wealth of info. thanks for the advice. it may take me a while to fully digest it all.i'll be playing at a senior center this weekend and will let you know how it goes. just so you know, i am using two powered pa monitors as main speakers. one gets pointed at the audience at about eye level. the other i set on the floor a little behind me in the wedge monitor position and at an angle so i get a little of a monitor feel along with it going out to the crowd.it's all part of ths experiment we call music.

thanks

joe

Glad to help Joe. :) Please do let us know how it goes at the gig... but I'd definitely recommend setting everything up at home / rehearsal in advance and getting a feel for how it all works. Saves confusion and troubleshooting at the gig. :)

Good luck with your gig - break a leg! :wave:

• Members

What Phil said.

Do thecompression on the inserts on your input channels and all will be subsequently well.

Use effects sends and bring back effects to channels instead of returns for more control.

Done.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

hello phil,

well the compressor arrived as did the cables that you suggested.hooked it up and we have ignition.

i wonder if you could give me some advice on how i might adjust controls on the dbx.of course i could just hit the auto button for each channel but i figure it would be good to know how the different controls will alter the sound.the guitar has a magnetic front pickup and a piezo saddle pickup. the mic will be a senheiser e835 when using a dynamic, or an akg c-5 when using a condsenser mic. of course i will try different settings but where would i set for starters?

thanks again

joe

Archived