how would you describe jazzmaster pickups...

-Norge-

• Members

Hundreds of YouTube clips at your fingers just take a listen.

well i've listened to tons of clips, but to be honest you can't really discern how they sound as well as something who's played them can.

• Members

well i've listened to tons of clips, but to be honest you can't really discern how they sound as well as something who's played them can.

If after listening to several clips of a guitar and you can't get a grip on how it sounds then I think it is time for you to play one my friend.

• Members

I love the JM and I think the pickups are one of the best part of it.

My experience is with the AVRI pickups. I'm not sure but I think they should be some kind of single coils overwounded. They're lower in output than an HB but hotter than SC. They're best quality, IMO is the balance: they're mellow, full and round. The neck is especially is really mellow, not mushy at all, just awesome. I find the bridge a little on the bright side, but still really balanced and not with those piercing highs you get for example from {censored}ty tele bridge pups; if I understand correctly this brightness of the bridge pup is something of the AVRI pickups, since I read vintage weren't so bright, never tried one.

I love them both on clean and with fuzz. I think with fuzz and distortion they don't retain the clarity of good SC's, but they don't get muddy and mushy like HB. They get perfect for wall of fuzz, and noise, so I think it's about tastes!

BTW I really recommend to try once; too often the JM is considered just for the fancy shape or because that man or another played it. They're incredible guitars, IMO!

• Members

In ways they remind me of a strat bridge sound. Definitely more mellow and fuller sounding than strat or tele singles, but it still retains clarity. That being said, Curtis Novak makes several flavored JM pickups including: Vintage, PAF, P90s, WRHBs, Mosrites, Tele Bridge style (http://www.curtisnovak.com/). I have a JM90 in the bridge of my CIJ, and it's not exactly a P90 sound, more like a blend between a p90 and a normal JM pickup.

• Members

They sound somewhat similar to rickenbacker high gain pickups, to me. Kind of jangly and clear but still with some midrange and lots of dynamics.

They can be bright but luckily the JM has a very useful tone control that stays clear and has a good sweep.

• Members

Great couple if you ask me
;)

DSC02001.jpg

Ooooo, I plan an esquire and a JM. Good call, sir.

A JM neck pickup is hands down my favorite. Just really really full sounding, and really clear. The brdige has already been accurately describe.

• Members

I love the JM and I think the pickups are one of the best part of it.

My experience is with the AVRI pickups. I'm not sure but I think they should be some kind of single coils overwounded. They're lower in output than an HB but hotter than SC. They're best quality, IMO is the balance: they're mellow, full and round. The neck is especially is really mellow, not mushy at all, just awesome. I find the bridge a little on the bright side, but still really balanced and not with those piercing highs you get for example from {censored}ty tele bridge pups; if I understand correctly this brightness of the bridge pup is something of the AVRI pickups, since I read vintage weren't so bright, never tried one.

I love them both on clean and with fuzz. I think with fuzz and distortion they don't retain the clarity of good SC's, but they don't get muddy and mushy like HB. They get perfect for wall of fuzz, and noise, so I think it's about tastes!

BTW I really recommend to try once; too often the JM is considered just for the fancy shape or because that man or another played it. They're incredible guitars, IMO!

Thanks for the description. I would love to try one, but there no where around that will carry jazzmasters. I love the look of them and the sounds i've heard in the clips, but yeah i really just wanted to the thoughts of people who've played on what they sounded like.

Archived