Boss RC20XL or RC30?

• Members

I have an RC20XL. I like it except that it only has 11 loops you can save. I find that I get playing, add a bunch of layers, and then want to keep it to work with later. With only 11 places to save loops, I end of deleting stuff I would prefer keeping. For that reason, and lack of MIDI to connect to a drum machine, I'm looking at different loopers. RC30 has 99 phrases to save stuff, which I believe is the same as the JamMan, right?

That said, RC20XL is easy to use and I like it, except for what I mentioned above.

• Members

I got the RC-20XL first and love it, but really wanted a 2nd track to fill, so I got the RC-30.

Heres the thing, if youre gonna do a lot of switching phrases, the 20XL is better because theres no "skip" when you switch. The RC-30 has a slight delay when switching phrases.

I dont ever switch, so I love the RC-30. I got a little stomp switch to switch back and forth with tracks, its pretty easy to get a rhythm going back and forth. Or letting one drop out and keeping the other track play for a measure before kicking both back on. {censored} like that.

The reverse on the 20XL isnt all that great, it kinda breaks timing and does its own thing, so its limited use. BUT the cool thing with it, is you can record a phrase, hit reverse, overdub a phrase on top "forward", then hit reverse again, and flip both tracks. (1st one goes normal, 2nd goes in reverse)

20xl was also cool because it had 2 1/4" inputs, 1 for a mic, which I plugged a bass into, so I could go back and forth. The input was a little loud because of the mic input, but you cant do that with the rc-30 because its an xlr mic input. (better for a mic situation of course). I had to use a ABY box for it then.

Overall 20XL was great for its simplicity....RC-30 was a tad more complex, but worth the learning curve in the end.

• Members

I got the RC-20XL first and love it, but really wanted a 2nd track to fill, so I got the RC-30.

Heres the thing, if youre gonna do a lot of switching phrases, the 20XL is better because theres no "skip" when you switch. The RC-30 has a slight delay when switching phrases.

I dont ever switch, so I love the RC-30. I got a little stomp switch to switch back and forth with tracks, its pretty easy to get a rhythm going back and forth. Or letting one drop out and keeping the other track play for a measure before kicking both back on. {censored} like that.

The reverse on the 20XL isnt all that great, it kinda breaks timing and does its own thing, so its limited use. BUT the cool thing with it, is you can record a phrase, hit reverse, overdub a phrase on top "forward", then hit reverse again, and flip both tracks. (1st one goes normal, 2nd goes in reverse)

20xl was also cool because it had 2 1/4" inputs, 1 for a mic, which I plugged a bass into, so I could go back and forth. The input was a little loud because of the mic input, but you cant do that with the rc-30 because its an xlr mic input. (better for a mic situation of course). I had to use a ABY box for it then.

Overall 20XL was great for its simplicity....RC-30 was a tad more complex, but worth the learning curve in the end.

Thanks a ton, great review. It helped/explained a lot.

• Members

- RC-30 is stereo, allows you to control the volume of each track individually and allows you to apply effects to the tracks. You could plug your bass into track 2.

- RC-30 has USB so you can import / export tracks.

I really like my JamMan Stereo, especially the loop selector buttons. I upgraded from a RC-20XL and never looked back.

• Members

so youre saying 2 different loops, 1 out each channel?...So if I'm in mono, no good?

Reason I ask, I was thinking of trying to jam man because it has a rhythm track output, but love the 2 track setup on the rc-30

If you go mono in, it will go stereo out but you can't control or record the loops independently if that's what you're asking.

• Members

Yeah the problem I had with the 20xl is that I'd record too much on top within one session of playing. And you could only undo the last overdub, so there would be a random bass or noise track in there somewhere that I couldnt re record to match the newer sounds I was evolving towards.

Archived