lil help with simple recording setup.

• Members

I want a simple good recording setup. Just a one mic set up.

What do I need? I'll be recording bass too.

I use a Mac with garage band now.

Well assuming you're doing vox you'll need an LDC. An audio interface. Logic or some DAW.

Doing drums? What's your budget? What style music?

One mic? All you need is a good audio interface and a mic. You can add some other stuff to that, such as good headphones, good monitor speakers, an outboard mic preamp of higher quality than the typical ones built-in to interfaces, etc. etc.

I really have been impressed with the latest generation of Avid interfaces. The 3rd Gen Mbox Mini would be everything you need (except a mic and cable and headphones) in one box. You can get it with or without Pro Tools - obviously it's cheaper without it. You can continue to use Garageband to record to, so you don't "have" to buy new software, although Logic or Pro Tools is going to give you considerably more capable tools to mix, edit and manipulate sound with than Garageband does. Logic is very similar to Garageband, so if you wanted to get some more advanced DAW software, it would be the easiest pro-level DAW program for you to transition to.

As far as the mic goes, that depends. :) What else do you want to use it for - acoustic guitars? Vocals? If you're just going to record electric guitar and bass, you might get by with something like a Shure SM57... although that's less than ideal as a bass mic. Or a RE320, which will work well on both guitar and bass amps. A large diaphragm condenser mic could also work, although now we're going to start testing what your definition of "good" is - some of the mikes I could start recommending as "nice" mics are not cheap... ;) I just got done writing an eight mic roundup article for Electronic Musician magazine, and there's some nice stuff out there right now. :)

• Members

OK, Ill get a SM57. I can get different mics. my budget is $450 Ill just be recording one thing at a time, no multi tracks.

what kinda of interface do I want to get?

I will be recording electric guitar, electric bass, and vocals. no drums. I might even record keys.

so what mics for bass and vocals? the sm57 I could use for guitar and vocals? or do I want something different for vocals?

• Members

The bass can just be recorded direct. An sm57 is always good to have around in your studio. I think I have 5-6 of them. The only time I've used an sm57 for vox is when I'm recording screams (plus pop filter). I think it's good to know that recording good lead vocals with a 57 you need good mic technique, as the 57 is very directional. I'm happy with my C214 for an Ldc. I have the presonus FireWire studio or something, but you might want to get the double input ones. I can't rec on the smaller ones. Sorry

Archived