Phil: YouTube support iPhone / iPad

juri

• Members

Are there any plans to fix YouTube embedding on the forum to where they work without it showing up as a hyperlink? Lots of people browse on their iPhones and iPads and it would be cool if videos were embedded that way and you wouldn't have to click a link and go to the YouTube app/leave the website.

Yes, we plan on doing more in the future to support our mobile users. Whenever I have the opportunity to voice the need for improved mobile support to the Powers That Be, I do so - after all, I'm a mobile user part of the time too, so it benefits me too. :) But selfish interests aside, I really feel like people will be doing more and more on the go via mobile devices, and it just makes sense for a site like this to support that - it can really be beneficial to our members. For example, have you ever been shopping in a store and wondered how the HC User Reviews rate something you're considering buying? I have. Being able to check that while you're out and about can be a big help. So yes, we hear you, and yes, we're going to do our best to give you guys the quality services and user experience you want and need, no matter what device you choose to use to access HC with.

When?

Hopefully soon. I don't have any dates for you, but I know that this is a definite priority.

• Members

Most of the time I'm on HC is probably done with a mobile device. It's android so I can get videos, but the whole site is much clunkier.

I usually don't bother with watching them or even posting replies until I can do so from a PC because it's such a pita.

• Members

Yes, we plan on doing more in the future to support our mobile users. Whenever I have the opportunity to voice the need for improved mobile support to the Powers That Be, I do so - after all, I'm a mobile user part of the time too, so it benefits me too.
:)
But selfish interests aside, I really feel like people will be doing more and more on the go via mobile devices, and it just makes sense for a site like this to support that - it can really be beneficial to our members. For example, have you ever been shopping in a store and wondered how the HC User Reviews rate something you're considering buying? I have. Being able to check that while you're out and about can be a big help. So yes, we hear you, and yes, we're going to do our best to give you guys the quality services and user experience you want and need, no matter what device you choose to use to access HC with.

When?

Hopefully soon. I don't have any dates for you, but I know that this is a definite priority.

Thank you very much Phil !

• Members

Hey Phil... Would a stand alone app just for the HC forums be a reach? I don't think it's totally necessary, but why not create an environment just for the mobile user, while leaving this site itself alone?

• Members

Hey Phil... Would a stand alone app just for the HC forums be a reach? I don't think it's totally necessary, but why not create an environment just for the mobile user, while leaving this site itself alone?

This please.

The only thing is that it would need to be well supported or it's a waste of time.

Do we have any android/ios programmers here?

• Members

I think this place works perfectly on th iPad/iPhone/Android except for video embedding and soundcloud support, both of which should be trivial to fix. It's just the way the HTML is rendered for those particular plugins. As soon as people start talking about Apps, etc I always cring a little because it's a lot easier to fix/support what's there then to create a complete application from scratch and I have yet to see a good forum reader app.

• Members

Do they (soundcloud) support that at their end? If so, I can look into it... if not, I don't think there's anything we could do...

Aye, you can copy an embed code from the track you want to share.

• Members

Thanks Rizza. I'll definitely see if there's something we can do to support that eventually.

Both embedded youtube videos and embedding soundcloud are supported on the gear page which is vBulletin as well. We should maybe do a kickstarter to have these features funded on harmony central.

Archived