All Of A Sudden My Dr. Z Maz 18 Is Buzzing...

• Members

My beloved Maz 18 has been a bit noisy as of late. It is normally quiet as a mouse but the last few days have been a bit... hummy... kinda like the sound a single coil guitar makes but I am not using a single could guitar. When I plug into any of my other amps everything is quiet and cool. I tried a variety of different outlets in my house as well to see if that was it but same issue with the Maz only... Plug my other amps into the same outlet and quiet times. The humming seems to get worse if I turn the reverb up.

Just wondering what you crazy kids thought it could be. I can do a lot of things but electrical thingys are not something I know.

I plan on dropping it off at the Dipinto Guitars shop in Philly tomorrow for a check up just looking for a little bit of knowledge.

• Members

my guess would be a preamp tube. is it tube driven reverb? i'd just get a known good tube, maybe pull one from a different amp just for testing purposes, and try swapping it in place of each tube in the maz, one at a time. in each position, turn the amp back on and see if you're still getting the buzz. keep trying until you find the bad tube. if you don't find a bad tube, then it's something else and you should take it too a tech. but it's probably a tube. this'll take ten minutes and could save some trouble, time and money. if it's a tube then you can just go get a new one and replace it and it'll only be a few bucks.

make sure all the tubes in the maz are 12ax7's and that that's what you're using to test. they probably are.

• Members

YEah if it's tube driven reverb, could be that tube. Or any tube really. Replace them.

i probably wouldn't bother replacing them til it was determined that that's the problem, but you've got a good point. when one tube goes down, it's a good idea to just go on and replace the rest of them.

• Members

I thought they all did that. Every one with reverb I've tried buzzed a lot while the NR ones were almost dead quiet.

It could be a bad reverb cable or the tank itself. If you disconnect the reverb cables entirely from the chassis does the problem go away?

Archived