So I don't know much about octave pedals...

FlyGuy10

• Members

...but I think I want one. Essentially I can only forsee me needing it to thicken up some solos and such. So I'd use it in conjunction with overdrives for that. Make my one note stuff really cut through the mix. But I'm sure I could find other uses for it once I acquired one :evil:

But which one should I look into? I've heard demos of the Boss PS-3 (not exclusively an octave pedal, I know) and also the EQD Organizer. The EH POG's sound ok, but they're kinda expensive for what you get...

Any thoughts or words of wisdom? Certain ones any of you have liked?

• Members

I'm not sure an octave pedal will do what you want it to. Are you thinking about octave up, or down? If you want octave down there's no reason to go crazy money- a Boss OC-2 or an EH Octave Multiplexer would do the job.

If you want to go for a more general pitch shifter the Boss ones are as good as anything else unless you've got Pitchfactor money to spend. I've got the Behringer US-600, which is ripped off from the PS-5 and I like it. Tracking in the "intelligent" harmony modes is a bit er... unintelligent- it'll confuse its min 3rds and Maj 3rds for instance, but for octave up/down and Whammy-type sounds (which is what I wanted it for) it works well and sounds OK considering it cost like

• Members

^ octave up fuzzes certainly have the edge over the regular kind when it comes to making nasty, nasty fuzz tones. I've got a BYOC Superfuzz clone on my board. It's fun. Mind you, the fact that we're talking about them highlights the ambiguity of the OP's term- I'd understand "octave pedal" to mean "octave down pedal", but it could just as easily be an octave up- either an Octavia/Superfuzz type thing or a clean(ish) octave up like a Green Ringer. Polyphonic octave stuff like the POG is another ballgame again. It would help to know exactly what we're talking about.

• Members

I'm waiting for a Mooer Audio Pitchbox, which is a polyphonic pitch shifter that will do (as I understand it) octave up or down (but not both a la micropog). It's polyphonic supposedly, and seeings I paid about $50 if it works well it's a pretty screaming deal. I've used a Boss OC2 which was nice and analog squelchy, and the Digitech Bass Synth Wah which has a nice digital octaver. So a few options for not too much $...

Steve

• Members

I've used the OC-3 for years (in OC-2 mode). It gets boring quickly if you want to fatten up solos, but for single note riffs its great. Octavers are so much fatter than pitch shifters. They really work well with amp dirt.

• Members

i like the good old oc-2 myself, i think it sounds great! the old big box ehx octave multiplexer is also cool....

i borrowed ultradust's micro pog and realy really dug that as well. not reason to go big money, like they said. lots of good choice.s

• Members

I guess I was thinking that pedals that strictly do octave up/down functions without any fuzz features were called "Octave pedals" as opposed to an OctavER pedal which would have fuzz sounds.

This just all goes to show that, as I said in my OP, that I don't know much about them :p

In regards to what I'm looking for:

One octave up AND one octave down at least would be nice. The reason why I'm NOT interested in an octaver or a fuzz octave is because I could forsee wanting to use an octave up and/or down for some ambient-ness with a clean tone. So dirt would be counterproductive to that.

Real estate is also an issue. I'd like for the pedal to be no bigger than say a boss sized pedal. I MAY be able to squeeze it on if it was as big as a EH Micro POG, but not entirely sure...

In regards to price: Probably not looking to spend more than $150-60 used for one.

• Members

The Mooer pitch box will do an octave up and an octave down, but not at the same time. I ordered mine for about $50 on aliexpress - which was a screamin' deal. It's absolutely tiny given that it sounds like that's important. But I haven't actually played around with it yet (will report when it gets here) to know how good it sounds... If you have $150 to spend and you want octave up and down without fuzz, seriously consider just getting the micropog and squeezing it in. It sounds like that's what you actually want, in terms of features.

Steve

• Members

...but I think I want one. Essentially I can only forsee me needing it to thicken up some solos and such. So I'd use it in conjunction with overdrives for that. Make my one note stuff really cut through the mix. But I'm sure I could find other uses for it once I acquired one
:evil:

But which one should I look into? I've heard demos of the Boss PS-3 (not exclusively an octave pedal, I know) and also the EQD Organizer. The EH POG's sound ok, but they're kinda expensive for what you get...

Any thoughts or words of wisdom? Certain ones any of you have liked?

the PS-3 has a lag in the octave tone, so yeah, not a good use with that for a straight octave

• Members

the PS-3 has a lag in the octave tone, so yeah, not a good use with that for a straight octave

Awesome, thanks for that

Hmmm...maybe I'll listen to a few videos of the Micro Pog.

I like some of the features of the EQD Organizer though, because it's more than just up, down, and mix.

• Members

Waiting to hear a demo of the Mooer Pitch box!

I recommend a Boss PS5 for upper octave like I have before. US600 works too. So would a PS6.

PS5 is but has many more options and (to me) is less digital sounding (if that's what you'd call it) than the Micro Pog.

It's also not polyphonic/ nor can you play up and down octaves simutaneously. But I don't need that {censored}.

Archived