My childhood pet is getting put down tomorrow...

mhuxtable

• Members

I called my dad to wish him happy father's day. We talked a minute then he told me he's having to put our boxer, Lucy, down tomorrow. The past couple of mornings she's woken up bleeding from her mouth...took her to the vet & she's got cancer. He's gonna put her down so she doesn't suffer. My dad's a strong, quiet guy, but I know this is gonna just kill him inside. I know it's already killing me. :cry: She's 12 years old...she lived a nice long life.

RIP Lucy

541989_415573958475654_262140101_n.jpg

• Members

Mojo sent to you and your dad, it's really heartbreaking having to take your pet to be put down. But, like my dad said when we were talking about the subject (two of our family dogs had to be put down about 10 years ago), is that once you have a pet you are responsible for their life and their death. You have to be prepared to let go so that they don't have to suffer.

• Members

Sorry to hear. The middle cat in my avatar is now buried out back, staring out at the mountains. I miss him terribly; he was my best friend (he outlasted two long term live-in relationships, the deaths of several people I love). He got cancer very late in life, and we were able to find a vet who came to the house to do it. The vet couldn't have been more wonderful with Balthazar, and it was a fitting way for him to leave our planet.

I'm sure Lucy knows how loved she is; animals are smarter than people when it comes to emotional intuition. Have yourself a good cry, and remember to reflect on all of the many times you made her feel joy.

Archived