OT: Need some semi-decent earphones, what you guys using?

woolyh

• Members

I recently picked up some
Klipsch S4s
for $80. They sound amazing! Great sound isolation and super clear.

klipsch_image_s4_headphones_1-480x480.jp

+2 -

I used to use the Shure's that were in the same price range ($100 or so) and they sounded pretty good, but they only lasted a year or two each (both sets basically came apart and weren't recoverable). The Klipsch's seem more durable and sound really good - very comfortable, too. At $80 or so, they're a bargain (and I'm really picky about what goes in my ears...).

Bought mine a year ago and they still seem like they're brand new (and I use them for a couple of hours every day.). Really nice things.

• Members

Monster Turbine - $80

41SmLRdcG%2BL._SS400_.jpg

+ Metal housing = no vibration and better sound reproduction; durable

+ Stock Triple-flange ear tips - better fit and sound isolation

+ Larger driver - again adds to better quality sound

- 'slight' boost to the bass frequencies, which is kind of a Monster marquee (though NOWHERE near as much as the Beats)

I'm quite taken with mine, and I've owned 15 or so headphones in the last 7 years or so, including the Klipsh S4, Shure E2 and E3, Senn HD25, and Ultimate Ears Super-fi 3 pro for buds. I'd currently probably pick the Monsters again, if given the choice. Great deal for $80 bucks on Amazon, considering they're typically $125 in stores.

• Members

Do you want in-ear earphones or on / over ear headphones?

And over-the-ear is a whole different animal, as you have about 4 different styles of over the ear cans to consider prior to finding models within each style; lol. Just as a quick list to an entry point:

Grado SR80

AKG K-240

Audio Technica ATH-A700

Speaking of wire, one thing I really don't like much about my el cheapo Shull Candy earbuds is the noise that the cables make that gets transferred directly to your ears via mechanical coupling. IOW, the dang cables are noisy if they get moved while you're wearing them - and I am not talking about electrical static or crackles.

• Members

I buy mine for $6 to $20 on sale. I would never pay big money for earbuds because they are always getting wrecked or just stop working. I have bought Sony and other good brands. They have fallen out of my ear and caught on my rear bike gears, my dog has chewed them, they fell out of my shirt when I was in a store and I stepped on them... on and on. Some just stop working on one side or the other.

Get a good set on sale for like $14. The local Source (formally Radio Shack in Canada) was liquidating some for $5.99 that were $30. I bought 3 sets. I am on the second set now after about 4 months.

• Members

My earbuds are Soundmagic PL30s. They're a chinese brand, not terribly well known but apparently quite popular around the relevant internet forums as a "bang-for-the-buck" brand. I've had them a couple of years and they're holding up well- no silly bass business, just good clear reproduction.

They've just brought out a new range that supercedes the ones I've got- word is that they've upped their game in terms of SQ and build quality and reviews have been very good. The equivalent new model is

Archived