Interesting Morello quote about gear

Cirrus

• Members

Stumbled across this just now, made me smile a bit because I've been pretty good at sticking to an amp and guitar for the last few years but my pedal buying and selling has definitely been unnecessary!

I'm sure a lot of people here will understand the thinking behind this quote from Tom Morello;

"I

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think the sentiment is cool, but not adding a single new pedal since 1991 seems like taking it to the extreme just to prove a point.

I imagine he'd get something new if he wanted to do something he couldn't do with the tools at his feet, but since he's been able to do what he wants with the same few sounds through his career I guess he's never needed to!

• Members

That to me is a bit of a precious statement and I think he should explore some new gear. His atonal falling off of a cliff solos (insert Whammy, scratchity scratch phase wah wah wah etc.) are becoming predictible. He is talented at squeezing out interesting sounds and I would like to see what he could do with some newer stuff that is on the market.

• Members

Hiwatt bob, have you got some personal problems at the moment? Everything you've posted in the last few months... you just come off as a bit angry about stuff! I'm no Morello fan boy, in fact I nearly made my own joke about his crap solos and rap rock riffing but I get the feeling you really mean it.

• Members

I remember reading he hasn't changed the tubes in his head since he got it either. It would be pretty hypocritical of the bands ethos if he was a gear whore (selling tshirts for profit with che Guevara's face on them notwithstanding).

• Members

I remember reading he hasn't changed the tubes in his head since he got it either. It would be pretty hypocritical of the bands ethos if he was a gear whore (selling tshirts for profit with che Guevara's face on them notwithstanding).

It's easy to take a stand against "the Man" when you are independantly wealthy.

• Members

Surely not! With the amount of touring he must have done there's no way he's not had to deal with a microphonic preamp or a duff power valve! More likely his tech keeps his amp in good condition with regular services+ valve changes and he just doesn't know it's happening.

• Members

i see morrellos point, but in my current situation, i'm not lusting for any gear, and band wise we still don't make any progress since last october...

i'm in a hole, no GAS and not much fun playing music currently, who can help me how or what?

• Members

lulz

• Members

He may not have added a new pedal to his live rig, but there are effects (most notably on the Audioslave albums) which do not appear on what has been published as his rig including tremolo and a random star stepping effect.

r u callin' Morello a {censored}in liar??

• Members

I think making it a point not to get new gear may be a little too rigid. If he is happy though; great. Though has he made much "new music" or is it just tools for more RATM material/live sound.

I think there is something about GAS and people buying tons of pedals, always searching, that may be a hindrance. And it usually seems to be the case that artists that don't have tons of super good gear, or pedals rather in this case, make better music than people with all boutique boards.

• Members

Hiwatt bob, have you got some personal problems at the moment? Everything you've posted in the last few months... you just come off as a bit angry about stuff! I'm no Morello fan boy, in fact I nearly made my own joke about his crap solos and rap rock riffing but I get the feeling you really mean it.

Bob will soon be requesting a buck or two so he can continue to do Utoob demos. It's a tough road to hoe.

Archived