OT: Hypothetical money to spend...

boytbpc

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Depends. Do I already own the guitars I do now? If yes, probably an EGC of as sort. If not, Suhr Classic T.

Give both. If you had to replace all of your current guitars with one and if you were getting an additional guitar to join the family.

• Members

I wouldn't even hypothetically spend 4k on a single guitar. I didn't even spend that much on my car.

If you insisted, I'd probably take a punt at getting something that would appreciate in value and put it somewhere it could stay minty fresh until I could pass it on to my kids, who presumably aren't bound by the no sale/no trade rule.

• Members

What is the deal with commenting in a thread if you don't want to play along? If you don't want to hypothetically spend 4k on a guitar, fine, but why bother commenting?

I wouldn't even
hypothetically
spend 4k on a single guitar. I didn't even spend that much on my car.

If you insisted, I'd probably take a punt at getting something that would appreciate in value and put it somewhere it could stay minty fresh until I could pass it on to my kids, who presumably aren't bound by the no sale/no trade rule.

• Members

I'd be more specific, but considering the likelihood of ever actually having $4k to spend on an investment-grade guitar I haven't spent a great deal of time researching exactly what I'd buy, and until there's more than hypothetical money on the table I'm not about to start.

• Members

What is the deal with commenting in a thread if you don't want to play along? If you don't want to hypothetically spend 4k on a guitar, fine, but why bother commenting?

Geek answer: For the same reason Capt. Kirk cheated on the Kobayashi Maru test.

We don't like your sucky rules and we're going to comment freely on the suckage thereof, and change them as we see fit.

Don't take it personally, it's what manly men do.

We throw our feces at each other. :)

Which, by the way, is why I'd never have a $4000 geetar.

My friends would throw feces at it.

• Members

ok.. maybe just get a vintage Fender that'll appreciate in value.

Nah it has to be new he says.

I would research the {censored} out of a good list of luthiers and pick one to build me a custom guitar.

The decision of electric or acoustic? Definitely an acoustic.

Ervin Somogyi. He's the one i'd go to.

• Members

I'm not exactly up to speed on the $4K guitar market.... so White Falcon? Maybe a vintage LP? Who the {censored} spends $4K on a guitar? About 4 years ago I bought a AVRI 52 NOS Tele and a AVRI 62 Hot Rod Strat. The next week I played a show and the guitarist in the band we opened for had a {censored}ty Squire Tele, and his tone was so badass. As good as mine, if not better. Tone really is in the fingers and this is why this thread is making me go cross eyed.

• Members

I could get an AVRI Jazzmaster and a Furch archtop for that sum, and still have plenty left to save. If I absolutely would have to use it all in one go, some kind of archtop would be in order. Maybe a Moffa, like the one DaveinLondon has ordered.

• Members

I know a builder that would happily build me a Gretsch 5122-like short-scale hollow-body fretless 5-string bass with TV Jones Thunder'Blade pickups, decked out like a White Falcon for the theoretical $4,000.

• Members

if I were adding to my current roster, I'd probably get a 50th anniversary Jaguar in Burgundy Mist

if I were replacing my current guitars (which I wouldn't want to do), I'd probably just get another AVRI Jazzmaster

...there's no way I could spend the whole 4K, unless I was going vintage

Archived