Finally tried a squire j mascis today

ArrMatey

• Members

Boy, it's a great guitar. Plays really nicely. I see why people put 11s on it though. The neck was massive but in a good way.

The only thing I didn't like is that the trem bar can come off so easily. Why can't you screw it in strat style?

• Members

Its not a screw in whammy bar like strats, it sorta "pops" in. Mine took a heap of force (or what I thought was alot) the first time I popped it in. There's like a sleeve or something in the vibrato unit that it needs to snap into; once you feel it, you'll know it.

I really dig mine, fwiw.

every JM vibrato has that same drop in trem bar. I've never found it to be too much of a problem unless you're trying to do somersaults.

I find the centrifugal force tends to keep it in place when doing somersaults; it's the backflips that make it fall out. YMMV. ;)

• Members

Its not a screw in whammy bar like strats, it sorta "pops" in. Mine took a heap of force (or what I thought was alot) the first time I popped it in. There's like a sleeve or something in the vibrato unit that it needs to snap into; once you feel it, you'll know it.

I really dig mine, fwiw.

Cool, I'll see. I def want to get one before the end of the summer. They feel really good and quite different to all my gibsons. It would be a great addition esp if the pickups are more p90ish as they say. Knowing me, I'll do a gig one day and drop that bar even when standing still :lol:

• Members

I've really come to like mine more too. I wasn't quite sure at first. Also, since I use 2 amps, the main being a Vox AC15c1, I find it sounds better/ballsier by using the boost input, as I do with humbuckers.

And yeah, the trem bar is a bit of a pain in the ass, falls out easily, without doing tricks. I tried a bit of the painter's blue tape, but that was too much. I would like it to be more permanent. But in the end, not that big of deal. I think I need to lube the nut better though since switching to '11s, as it does seem to go out of tune a bit more than it should. The damn humidity here lately is probably not helping either.

• Members

I tried a bit of the painter's blue tape, but that was too much.

:whisper:
Scroll down to the "Hot Tip" section on
this page.
You might find it interesting.
:wave:

Ah I knew it was some kind of tape, just had the wrong one :D I'll have to give it a try.

• Members

That's exactly how it works. Push in until it clicks.

Well whaddya know. It worked. I really had to push that {censored}er hard, but it went in. How does it come out if it needs to? Pull like {censored} as well?

I don't think that works on these. Phil?

Yup. There's a collet inside that puts pressure around the tip of the bar. If it isn't inserted all the way, it will drop out really easily. It should go in until it firmly clicks into place. Using just your hands, press down on that sucker firmly. It's not silly-amounts of pressure, but it takes a good, firm push to fully seat it. Once it is in there, it should stay in place a lot better. The arm on the review unit pretty much stays where I put it (no unintended droopiness), and doesn't fall out.

Archived