Have I lost my mind/hearing? (amp that my logic tells me is no good, but I like)

hotmess

• Members

I went to this local place that I pass by on my way from work every day, but have never stepped into. I went in and was like "Hey, do you have any used heads I can look at?" He nicely directs me over to a 50W Crate Stealth for $250 that he insisted "sounds killer."

Now, I have enough knowledge from philosophy class to remember Socrates' old quote "I only know that Crate amps are total {censored}, dude."

But this thing actually did sound good. Granted, it took me a bit of tweaking to get the sound I wanted, but in the end... I liked it...

Should I buy a Crate or should I be sent for mental evaluation (again)?

• Members

I played a blue voodoo or something once at a rehearsal studio and it actually sounded great.

+1

A friend of mine has one and it's a surprisingly nice amp.

I say surprisingly because my first big boy amp was a solid state Crate halfstack which I hated with a fiery passion.

• Members

+1

A friend of mine has one and it's a surprisingly nice amp.

I say surprisingly because my first big boy amp was a solid state Crate halfstack which I hated with a fiery passion.

When my first amp died I replaced it with a crate and the crate made my Gorilla sound good so I know what you mean.

Archived