Anyone in a country band?

TravvyBear

• Members

this guy right here. i am also learning lap steel. i generally play a tele but i play banjo on a good 40% of our songs.

i'm doing things the hard way and learning C6 tuning on 6 string lap steel. i understand e9/13 on an 8 string can cop pretty good country stuff but i think you really have to get on a pedal steel to make those e tunings work for you. it's a TON of theory and knowing what intervals you're gripping.

oh and requisite link to country band http://deadsoldierstn.bandcamp.com/

• Members

I used to be in a country band
didn't last long
when they found out i didn't have the proper attire I was given the choice to leave or dress up so I left
:rolleyes:

been through 6 string and 8 string lapsteels, kept the 6 string
and on my second pedalsteel now (still terrible at it)

• Members

I used to be in a country band

didn't last long

when they found out i didn't have the proper attire I was given the choice to leave or dress up so I left

:rolleyes:

been through 6 string and 8 string lapsteels, kept the 6 string

and on my second pedalsteel now (still terrible at it)

Nudie suit or GTFO

• Members

I was in an alt. country band (we did a lot of old old country tunes as well) in college. Still get together with those guys every once in awhile when we can, but that's becoming less and less frequent.

+1 on the pedal steel. I hope to get one sometime in the next year as I found a really great player locally who has agreed to give me lessons on it. Can't get enough of that sound.

• Members

this guy right here. i am also learning lap steel. i generally play a tele but i play banjo on a good 40% of our songs.

i'm doing things the hard way and learning C6 tuning on 6 string lap steel. i understand e9/13 on an 8 string can cop pretty good country stuff but i think you really have to get on a pedal steel to make those e tunings work for you. it's a TON of theory and knowing what intervals you're gripping.

oh and requisite link to country band

I don't usually like country but I'm digging your tunes. Nice.

• Members

I also fell in love with pedal steel recently when I saw Eric Heywood with Tift Merritt. Here he is with someone else. Unfortunately there aren't a lot of videos online, but he's played with The Pretenders, Ray Lamontagne, Son Volt, etc. He blew my mind. Getting a pedal steel is a long-term goal of mine (and learning how to play is an even longer-term goal :) ), but I've been messing around with slide and different tunings in the meantime.

• Members

I was in an alt. country band (we did a lot of old old country tunes as well) in college. Still get together with those guys every once in awhile when we can, but that's becoming less and less frequent.

+1 on the pedal steel. I hope to get one sometime in the next year as I found a really great player locally who has agreed to give me lessons on it. Can't get enough of that sound.

Thats what I'd love to do. An alt-country band with some older style country stuff too.

I would also love to mix shoegaze/noise with country.

It's weird, I was raised on country and spent a longggg time hating it and trying to get away from it. But I think it's just in my blood.

• Members

My guitars been in open E, I've been playing slide again exclusively for a while now.

Lap steel is neat but give this a try as well. Grab a Dunlop Blues Bottle slide and go to town.

My Dano is in Open G with the action jacked up and I've been playing slide pretty much exclusively. I'll have to give open E a try!

Archived