Fender Superchamp X2 vs. Vox AC4TV

zinzin

• Members

in reality i want BOTH amps! i own the orange TT, the vox pathfinder and the fender champion, a 1x12 cab with celestion vintage 30 and a 2x10 with pseudo bullgod speakers.

i'd like to own a fender bassman or old tweed - the champion doesn't quiet deliver.

i'd like to own a vox ac15/30.

now i don't need a big amp, i am more after the small ones, but no 8" speakers, 10" is minumum. i like small amps for recording and easy transport. i already filled a 8000 people hall with my 15 watt orange TT, so no need for big watt amps as well. but i doubt i would take both amps to a gig.

i tried the fender superchamp XD and the Vox AC4TV only in the shops and not with my guitars. i liked both.

what are your longterm expierences with the amps? is the superchamp able to do some good vox impression? the ac4 is more of a one-trick pony i believe.

It almost seems unfair... the Super Champ XD 2 has a lot more wattage (15W vs 4W), as well as a lot more versatility. I'm also a big fan of 6V6 output tubes, which the Fender uses. I don't know how well it will cop a Vox sound (and that's fairly subjective anyway) but if versatility is important to you, the Fender would be a better choice than the Vox, which as you suspect, has far less adjustability and range of sounds in it.

• Members

I like Vox tons, but wasn't thrilled with the AC4tv I heard. Now maybe the new AC4c1 would be worth a demo. So I would go with the Fender XD. THey seem to get stellar reviews, and yeha - very versatile. I also really like my Fender Mustang III. Not a tube in it, but still sounds good, portable, 12" Celestion, loud if you want it to be, and the amp emulation models are quite good. I love that I can dial in a Fender Bassman, Deluxe, Champ, etc. Nice to have it all! I run it in stereo with an AC15c1, so I get a nice blend of traditional tube amp tone, and a Fender model together.

• Members

I love my SCXD. FWIW... I heard people say the X2 doesn't sound as good. But I also heard someone say that their GDEC 3 sounded better then their SCXD. I own both and the SCXD definitely has better tone than the GDEC 3. The ability to use Fuse with the X2 is pretty nice.

• Members

Haven't tried the X2 though the head version seems interesting because you can pair it with any cab of your choice. I have the Super Champ XD combo and has some decent Vox tones. Awesome for pedals, amazing reverb, gets quite loud. I say go for the Super Champ, run it real clean and buy a Vox sounding pedal like the Catalinbread CB30.

Archived