Presets on the M5 - Capable of more than 24?

IRG

• Members

Just got one last night, mint condition, traded my DMB for it. I'm really liking it so far. I had an M9 before, which was good but I think I expected too much from it. This time, I'm using the m5 more as an enhancement to what I have, instead of trying to make it the core of my sound.

So since you can only use one effect at a time, the presets are fairly important. It only stores 24, and I'm sure I can easily go past that. The majority of effects I'll be using will be delay (6-8), then modulation (5-7), filters (4-5), dirt/eq (4-6) and reverb (2-4).

I'm thinking a simple spreadsheet might help me organize what I have.

But can midi help me organize, and/or store more than 24 presets? I KNOW NOTHING about midi, complete noob. If there's something that works well with the M5, share it. Don't want to spend a lot, but maybe something I save up for.

TL;DR, Got an M5, it's cool, wondering if more presets can be saved using midi.

• Members

midimouse_image.jpg

Hmm, interesting. The one thing it lacks is a display beyond the number. So I wonder, if I type in preset #48, can I type in Analog Delay w/Mod on the M5 display, and it will show up when I choose preset #48 for example. I'll take a closer look at this though, thanks a lot.

• Members

Hmm, interesting. The one thing it lacks is a display beyond the number. So I wonder, if I type in preset #48, can I type in Analog Delay w/Mod on the M5 display, and it will show up when I choose preset #48 for example. I'll take a closer look at this though, thanks a lot.

You'll want a better MIDI controller. With the MIDI mouse you'll be doing a lot of scrolling to get to the presets you want or you'll have to go through the hassle of re-programming the order every time you change your set.

If you can find a used Axess Electronics MIDI controller or a Peak MIDI controller, both are reasonably small and give you a few more switches for accessing presets. :o

• Members

You'll want a better MIDI controller. With the MIDI mouse you'll be doing a lot of scrolling to get to the presets you want or you'll have to go through the hassle of re-programming the order every time you change your set.

If you can find a used Axess Electronics MIDI controller or a Peak MIDI controller, both are reasonably small and give you a few more switches for accessing presets.
:o

Something like this then:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PEAK-MIDI-FCB4N2-v2-0-PROGRAMMABLE-MIDI-FOOT-SWITCH-CONTROL-CONTROLLER-PEDAL-/170834278848?pt=AU_Instrument_Accessories&hash=item27c68439c0#ht_2645wt_703

I'll have to find it cheaper, and local, this one is in Australia. Only one that came up on ebay.

• Members

I might be wrong here but no matter what midi implementation you use the M5 is only capable of 24 internal memory settings...

you CAN "double" this by building/buying an external footswitch that plugs into the expression pedal jack which will give you two "settings" per preset

I did just this and it works wonderfully, I used an old danelectro case/jack to house the switch so it cost me a total of $1.99 or so for the switch to build it

so you can have one delay with two different settings for a single patch for example.

but I don't think you can just add a midi controller and get more memory slots on it :idk:

• Members

Something like this then:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PEAK-MIDI-FCB4N2-v2-0-PROGRAMMABLE-MIDI-FOOT-SWITCH-CONTROL-CONTROLLER-PEDAL-/170834278848?pt=AU_Instrument_Accessories&hash=item27c68439c0#ht_2645wt_703

I'll have to find it cheaper, and local, this one is in Australia. Only one that came up on ebay.

Yep. The Axess Electronics one is a little smaller and has one less footswitch. They no longer make them but they pop up on eBay from time to time. It would be my first choice if one is readily available. The Peak one would me my second choice. If you're looking for a MIDI loop switcher (a controller for your MIDI gear and audio loops for switching your non-MIDI pedals in and out of your signal path) you could go with something like the Musicom Lab's switcher. That's what I use for my setup and it works great. It allows me to change the presets on my MIDI gear and switch up to 8 pedals in and out of my signal path...

attribimg-5893-full-KNEU_C3UX_7QHI_DREJ_

mk2_rear.jpg

This is my setup about two versions ago...I used it to switch the M-9, Timefactor and Nova Drive and my non-MIDI pedals. I also ran the M-9 and Timefactor in the loops and set them up the outputs to run in parallel into the RJM mixer so that my dry signal was always analog (not running through the Timefactor's D/A converters) and so that my reverb and delay trails would fade out naturally when I bypassed the inputs of the loops.

P1010904.jpg

• Members

I might be wrong here but no matter what midi implementation you use the M5 is only capable of 24 internal memory settings...

you CAN "double" this by building/buying an external footswitch that plugs into the expression pedal jack which will give you two "settings" per preset

I did just this and it works wonderfully, I used an old danelectro case/jack to house the switch so it cost me a total of $1.99 or so for the switch to build it

so you can have one delay with two different settings for a single patch for example.

but I don't think you can just add a midi controller and get more memory slots on it
:idk:

Thanks Robo. That is sort of what I was thinking, that there are 24 slots, period. The external footswitch is a great idea, and may actually be all I need. Is there a good switch I can buy like you made, that doesn't cost a lot? That might do me just fine. How does the display work then, like 1a and 1b? You can label them separately? Thanks.

• Members

but I don't think you can just add a midi controller and get more memory slots on it
:idk:

You are correct. You can assign any of the 24 presets to any of the 128 available MIDI program changes but you'll still only have 24 presets to choose from.

• Members

Thanks Robo. That is sort of what I was thinking, that there are 24 slots, period. The external footswitch is a great idea, and may actually be all I need. Is there a good switch I can buy like you made, that doesn't cost a lot? That might do me just fine. How does the display work then, like 1a and 1b? You can label them separately? Thanks.

if you spend a few dollars more for a DPDT/power jack for the ext footswitch then you could add an LED for status of whether it was on A/B setting. But no, the M5 won't tell you as all it really thinks you're doing is rocking an exp from one end to the other.

there's quite a bit of info on the intarweb about it :)

• Members

Can I see a pic of that board?

They're not on a board. I keep them loose for ease of packing. I'll bring one or two M-5's and maybe two or three gain pedals (a fuzz of some kind, a two-channel cascading dirt pedal and a clean boost...like the EP Booster or Fulltone Fatboost).

• Members

if you spend a few dollars more for a DPDT/power jack for the ext footswitch then you could add an LED for status of whether it was on A/B setting. But no, the M5 won't tell you as all it really thinks you're doing is rocking an exp from one end to the other.

there's quite a bit of info on the intarweb about it
:)

Well, searching the webs now. Not sure I've found quite what I want yet. But this is kind of interesting. From cubisteffects. http://www.cubisteffects.com/2011/06/line-6-m5-stompbox-modeler-feedback-box-modification/

http://www.cubisteffects.com/images/M5/M5_Header.jpg

I don't have my M5 in front of me, but is this jack that he has the expression/feedback box plugged into, a mod or is this already on the pedal? I don't recall seeing it. Or can this pedal simply be plugged into the expression jack? It's $85 for the feedback box. Kind of a cool idea overall.

• Members

I am not 100% but pretty sure that jack was added, if he sells the box plus adds the jack to your pedal for $85 thats an amazing deal but I have never dealt with that company so not sure how the quality/service is.

an A/B preset like the one I made just goes into the 1/4" exp jack on the back of the M5

• Members

that is basically a pot in a box, so it won't give you two "presets" but you can use your foot to turn the pot for more of a "full range" of settings

So can you use it to say, set the Rotary setting on the preset to a slow speed, and then use the expression Nose to have it ramp up the speed faster? It's not really any different is it, than say a Line6 EX-1 expression pedal, just smaller.

Archived