Sorta OT: My first nitro refinish job...

thom

• Members

Finally sprayed the color on the body of my AV '52 fender tele today. Did about ten coats, no sanding between the coats. I actually planned on immediately going on with the clear coats without any sanding, but it looks like I'll have to do some level sanding, and there's a couple tiny bits of dust in there too, as well as a few runs. No big chunky runs though.

Should have done a better job preparing it, I think my half-assed sealer/filler job will show in the end. Also didn't tape up the neck pocket properly, I'll have to sand/file/scrape of the paint when I'm done:facepalm:

So now: Dry sand the whole thing lightly with 400 grit before applying 4 or 6 thin top coats? I'd still want to try to clear coat it without sanding first, if there's no runs/dust issues this time...Good plan?

Cheers.

• Members

A few things.
1. 10 coats in one day is too much regardless of what you shot it with.

2. Your finish will only be as good as your prep work.

3. You need to knock down the orange peel before clear coating. Dry sanding with 400 grit will leave obvious scratches that will show through the clear. I'd wet sand it with at least 600 grit before shooting the clear.

You also should let those ten coats you shot cure a bit before you do so.

Post some pics.

• Members

A few things.

1. 10 coats in one day is too much regardless of what you shot it with.
DAMN. I knew I was rushing it while I was doing it
:facepalm:

2. Your finish will only be as good as your prep work.
Dito.

3. You need to knock down the orange peel before clear coating. Dry sanding with 400 grit will leave obvious scratches that will show through the clear. I'd wet sand it with at least 600 grit before shooting the clear.
Check. Thanks for that.

You also should let those ten coats you shot cure a bit before you do so.
Not a problem. It'll probably take at least a couple of weeks till I find the time to pick it up again.

Post some pics.

I'll post some pics asap. Thanks for the tips.

Archived