The string in my volume pedal just broke...

frenchji

• Members

not only that but the thingy that the string attaches to on the pot keeps slipping when it gets humid outside.

I'm sick of this pedal.. looking for a replacement.

I liked the sweep on the vp jr.. and I think the tone suck myth is just people being dumb.

So with that being said.. suggestions? Lookin for reliability..

Dunlop dvp-1 looks pretty cool.

• Members

I just replaced the string on mine. The kit was $9 or something, but the labor was 3x that, but still cheaper than a new pedal as I like the design (other than the string) too.

But if you want new, I would probably check out the Dunlop DVP1. Or the Boss FV500. Not much other than those for $100 or less.

• Members

This place is so ridiculous.. seriously? What's the point of having an effects forum if everyone is more interested in off topic threads that have nothing to do with pedals?

this came out of left field...

everything in here so far has been on topic :idk:

• Members

The off-topic threads here get more rapidfire responses than the on-topics for sure but it's at about the same rate of response as you would get on other forums for on-topic stuff.

I've asked technical questions or opinions elsewhere and often got crickets chirping so I don't think this place is any different with the rate of response with FX content. It just seems that way compared to the {censored}ing about in other threads.

Where this forum beats other places is that the actual FX chat is more active with FX discussion beyond organic overdrives and dotted eights delays. Try asking a pitchfactor question on TGP and see how far you get.

• Members

i've found the DIY thread here to be more than helpful :idk: they've helped me out countless times building pedals, troublshooting them, coming up with schems...

and pretty much every on topic thread still gets enough helpful replies.

• Members

Hey, we gut the whole pedal and replace everything pretty much. We now upgrade the vectran strings with a specific treatment that not only lets them grip better for no string slippage, but coats the fibers to reduce friction and prolong life. THOUGH I have used these things professionally over 10 years without breaking a single string and with the hundreds I have worked on I can tell you it has more to do with not keeping your pedal clean. Dirt and debris can get on the string and if you never dust it off it creates friction on itself that can wear over time. The string breaking thing is a bit over hyped online as these things are strong as ****. But with the open EB design comes the necessity of a little TLC to your investments.

And because the OP wanted to stay on topic.... the tone suck deal is def not a myth. Wether or not it bothers you is more of a personal opinion, I have heard plenty of killer players/rigs that use a stock VP and sound stellar. No one else but the player would know, but for those whole are plagued by the problem there are solutions to be had.

• Members

Dunlop dvp-1 looks pretty cool.

While I have yet to gig with it, I find the Dunlop volume pedal to be sturdy as hell. If your concern is reliability and will consider price (I got mine for $60 used or something around that range), I don't think you can go wrong with the Dunlop.

• Members

And because the OP wanted to stay on topic.... the tone suck deal is def not a myth. Wether or not it bothers you is more of a personal opinion, I have heard plenty of killer players/rigs that use a stock VP and sound stellar. No one else but the player would know, but for those whole are plagued by the problem there are solutions to be had.

I have had an EB volume pedal for 4-5 years with no problem (knock on wood) and have yet to notice tone sucking problems. I could be deaf (realistic possibility that it's true) but, I think EB is solid. Try the Dunlop if you are leery on the EB line.

Archived