Do I just need a mixer?

• Members

Hi, first thing I should say is I am a technical moron.Pretty much anything technical is beyond me. Simple. So, I recently delved into the world of pedals, more specifically the Boss ME-25. I'm just running it through my marshall amp as I don't have alot in the way of equipment at the moment. I want to add vocals to what will be my live act and bought a microphone which is on its way to me but I'm not sure how I'm going to do it. My thinking (and this is what I need you guys to check if you don't mind as its often fundamentally flawed) is to just buy any little mixer and connect the guitar and microphone (and maybe keyboards) to the mixer, connect the mixer to the pedal and I should be cooking with gas right? Even more simplistic is the idea of a little adaptor which has 2 sockets for quarter inch jacks and one regular quarter inch jack to plug into the pedal essentially just giving you an extra input jack (this idea seems even more likely to be flawed than the other one) Will any of this work or am I just more clueless than I first thought? Any help or advice welcomed and really appreciated. Thanks.

• Members

listen here, agreed... you're gonna need a toaster and a paperclip and some chewing gum.

So is this like a little coffee shop act type thing?

You can get by with this:

Guitar + Pedal + Amp

Mic + Mixer + Powered Speaker

Balance the sound of your vocals and your guitar and you're set. If you want to add a keyboard to the mix things get a bit awkward. Either you need a keyboard amp, or you need a powered subwoofer, or if you really don't care about the lows on your keyboard you can just run it through your little mixer without a sub.

• Members

Your first post is kinda confusing... sounds like you want to use a Y connector to just run your guitar and mic into the same input or something?

Anyway, don't do that.

Tell me your act: 1 man? guitar + keys + vocals?

Tell me your budget:

• Members

Sorry, yep 1 man. Essentially I've always done local gigs just me and the acoustic guitar. I'm not sure if pedals is a phase so budget - minimal. I really want the cheapest way to see if the ideas in my head that include vocals and other instruments looped over each other is going to work so I want to be able to connect them all up, problem is my ME-25 only has 1 input.

• Members

Sorry, yep 1 man. Essentially I've always done local gigs just me and the acoustic guitar. I'm not sure if pedals is a phase so budget - minimal. I really want the cheapest way to see if the ideas in my head that include vocals and other instruments looped over each other is going to work so I want to be able to connect them all up, problem is my ME-25 only has 1 input.

oh so you're looking to loop your vox too? interesante... so maybe get yourself an sm57 and an sm58. mic your amp with your sm57 and your mouth with the sm58. send those into a y cable to combine and send through your ME-25. Then ME-25 out to the mixer and mixer to the powered speaker? Seems like that would work.

• Members

oh so you're looking to loop your vox too? interesante... so maybe get yourself an sm57 and an sm58. mic your amp with your sm57 and your mouth with the sm58. send those into a y cable to combine and send through your ME-25. Then ME-25 out to the mixer and mixer to the powered speaker? Seems like that would work.

Firstly whats an sm57 OR sm58? lol I have no idea about this stuff, I know what I want to do but nothing about the equipment at all. haha!! I did say I was clueless about this stuff...I'm trying to learn from you guys...apologies. Also, why cant I run everything through the amp? Is there a specific reason I need a speaker too or is it just that it will sound better? Thanks

• Members

I'm going to be brutally honest and tell you that you don't ave the right tool for the job. The input for the ME-25 is designed for guitars, not microphones, and anything you feed into it will run through the effects as well as the looper.

An ideal way of doing it would be to have a mixer which you run the guitar (through ME-25) into, as well as running the keyboard and microphpone into it, having everything on its own individual channel so you can set levels and EQ to taste. Now what you'd do from there is run a dedicated looper pedal through the mixer via the aux sends/returns - this means the looper would capture anything that is fed into it through the mixer.

The mixer would need to be connected to some sort of speaker system to amplify the whole lot, so either a PA system or a keyboard amp or something else that has full range speakers in it (the vocals and keyboard will not sound good through your guitar amp, and integrating your guitar amp into the above system makes things unnecessarily complicated when you can simply use the ME-25 for amp sims instead).

• Members

I'm going to be brutally honest and tell you that you don't ave the right tool for the job. The input for the ME-25 is designed for guitars, not microphones, and anything you feed into it will run through the effects as well as the looper.

An ideal way of doing it would be to have a mixer which you run the guitar (through ME-25) into, as well as running the keyboard and microphpone into it, having everything on its own individual channel so you can set levels and EQ to taste. Now what you'd do from there is run a dedicated looper pedal through the mixer via the aux sends/returns - this means the looper would capture anything that is fed into it through the mixer.

The mixer would need to be connected to some sort of speaker system to amplify the whole lot, so either a PA system or a keyboard amp or something else that has full range speakers in it (the vocals and keyboard will not sound good through your guitar amp, and integrating your guitar amp into the above system makes things unnecessarily complicated when you can simply use the ME-25 for amp sims instead).

Thanks for the advice man, I'm going to get a behringer xenyx 802 mixer today and go from there.

Archived