Vocal processor "pedals" - anyone using one?

• Members

I've got a Digitech Vocal 300

vocal300-7097e3c97f2505e2dadc456ee611ecc

it's very effecty. chipmunks and aliens. strong on the cheese, but I guess you could go subtle and just use the eq with a bit of reverb. Anytime you add distortion to live vocals pissing feedback is gonna happen, the gate is pretty useful in that situation, but expect to reset it depending on different stage settings.

what do you want to know?

A few things really. Just trying to gauge how popular they are / aren't. I'd also like to hear what people like and don't like about the various units, how they're using them, what they'd like to see added / changed on future models, etc.

• Members

the digitech is one of the cheapest multi-effects I've ever played (in sound and cost). it sounds as bad as a zoom505 pedal. the stomps are super flimsy and cheap feeling. quality build is NOT a strong point. Programming stuff for the expression pedal can be nice. having a Mic in/out as well as the 1/4" in/out makes for plugging in additional pedals after the digitech and just using it as a mic pre & volume without fudging the impedance too much.

I like it for my {censored}ing around bands, where making ridiculous sounds with my voice is more important then being a good singer, so pretty much when ever I'm the singer. like this

At some stage volumes, or with some mics, the gate doesn't function too well. Being able to have some usable and reliable vocal distortions without the risks of pissing feedback would be nice. Reverb algorithms that don't sound like 50$ 1986 would also be nice (how old is this pedal anyways??). Ideally if it had a Bono or Chris Martin settings I'd be set, but they don't.

• Members

A few things really. Just trying to gauge how popular they are / aren't. I'd also like to hear what people like and don't like about the various units, how they're using them, what they'd like to see added / changed on future models, etc.

Just include Nataly Dawn, and I'd buy one.

They just don't sound the same when I sing....

• Members

EHX Voicebox

This, and the V256. Frankly, I haven't used either much... Yet. I plan to use them extensively to record my project.

But I plan to use them mostly for ambience and background vocals. I typically don't like listening to pitch corrected lead vocals unless it makes sense within the context of the song. But then, that is true of all effects in my methodology, including distortion and overddrive.

• Members

???

I use the TC Helicon Voicetone Correct for the adaptive compression and EQ as well as the feedback reduction for backing vocals. It works great...the sound guy sets the EQ flat, adjusts my level and that's it. No feedback, sounds great. I use a Heil PR-35 with it. Great vocal mic for live use. Excellent feedback rejection and clear, full output. Between the two, when playing with a loud band, it's the difference between being heard and not being heard.

Our singer also uses the Voicetone Correct and PR-35 along with the new TC Helicon Voicelive Play. The Voicelive play sounds great but it can be a little fiddly while you're setting it up (at least it was for our singer who's not a particularly hardware savvy guy).

My previous experience with vocal pedals was the old purple Digitech monstrosity...it pretty much turned me off on the idea of using vocal pedals for years. The TC Voicetone Correct changed that. It does what it's supposed to do and it does it simply and easily.

Archived