Why don't more pedals have the Tone-Lok feature??

LSMFT6

• Members

Ibanez had a good idea, even if the pedal line itself isn't the most highly-regarded among gear snobs. More companies should jump on that, especially since they can avoid getting sued by Ibanez by using a name that, unlike Tone-Lok, isn't stupid.

It seems so obvious. Accidental knob bumps are the worst.

• Members

No boutiquer would be able to offer those features without being prohibitively expensive. Not only would the engineering be costly but manufacturinga complicated custom enclosure liek that is unbelievably expensive to do in moderate-to-small production runs. You'd have to be selling hundreds of thousands of pedals a year for that to be cost effective.

• Members

I'm no expert, but I see no reason why you couldn't mount the knobs to the pot shafts with simple spring-loaded devices and have an enclosure high enough above the PCB that it would protect the knobs when in the down position. :idk:

That's probably how Ibanez did it and people assume it's a lot more complex than it really is.

You know that all pedals would be better with this feature, at least the "set and forget" ones.

• Members

I'm no expert, but I see no reason why you couldn't mount the knobs to the pot shafts with simple spring-loaded devices and have an enclosure high enough above the PCB that it would protect the knobs when in the down position.
:idk:
That's probably how Ibanez did it and people assume it's a lot more complex than it really is.

You know that all pedals would be better with this feature, at least the "set and forget" ones.

You could maybe pull something like that off with one of the deeper hammond enclosures, like a 125B or something like that. For it to be durable you would need a specially made enclosure as you would need to have a recessed area instead of an open hole for each of the knobs so that the knobs only move up and down and not laterally.

I've never broken a knob off of any pedal, although I do appreciate it when the knobs are either out of the way, or otherwise protected. There are ways to protect the knobs without the added engineering and manufacturing costs of the Ibanez design, and IMO, most pedal builders do a decent job of it, although some are certainly better than others.

Oh, and In before someone parodied this thread with this: ;)

[video=youtube;CBrKn_0sIqU]

• Members

i also wish all of them had the tonelok thingy, really.

i have this idea of a Tonelok system that would be like a push/pull knob, you'd pull it up for changing settings and down to lock. shouldn't be that expensive to make.

It'd be nice but, you'd have to convince the pot-manufacturers that they'd sell a million or five.

Ibanez could do that because, well, they DO sell that many pedals.

As a player, the one thing I dont like about ToneLok pedals is they'll (sometimes) make a "bleep" when I push-to-UnLok...like, if I want to crank on the timebase knob for some cool spceship noises, I might get a mini-pitch-shift when I push/pop the knob...speaking of which, the noizeboyz generally want to access the knobs on a constant basis, so the Lok feature is a pox on their tweekboard.

Don't get me wrong, I own 3 ToneLok pedals....in fact I think the LoFi is highly underrated.

• Members

lol i dont know how many of you have clumsy ass size 14 feet or something but it cant be that many of you. or else you wouldn't be nerding out on forums all day ;)

just practice your foot eye coordination some more.

• Members

aside from the manufacturing cost i would guess it adds another possible thing to go wrong/break.. so why not just stick to a tried and tested regular pot.

i don't have any trouble kicking knobs, but when i think of the best designed pedal i have, solely for knobs being out of the way, the new marshalls probably beat anything else i have. if only the position of the pots could actually be seen.. from any angle! :lol:

• Members

Gaffer tape.

Taping knobs means that you can't tweak them if you wanted to for whatever reason, at least not without having to stop playing for the better part of a minute, and using tape as position markers doesn't prevent them from getting bumped. Even if they are marked, a lot of pedals have knobs sensitive enough to be unable to accurately mark with a line/dot/arrow big enough to be seen on stage.

Archived