Any other iGoogle users here that wish Google would continue supporting it?

• Members

I just set up my Samsung Galaxy 10" to try and replicate the iGoogle experience. Though all the same services and links are essentially on my home screen of the Galaxy now, it just isn't a better experience in any way. Too much tapping around, opening and closing apps. Completely annoying and inefficient. I want a one-stop single layout that shows me a snapshot of my updated little corner of the universe all in one glance, and I want it integrated.*

It sucks that Google only sees their service as an outdated widget version of App distribution. It is so much more than that.

• Members

I don't use it myself, but take a look at this, it might be relevant to you -

Thanks! Netvibes might be a decent alternative, but I probably won't go that route. Moving forward, I'm trying to play the whole mobile device domination game so I don't get left behind in the technology no-man's land.

I spent about an hour today learning how to use Pulse on my Galaxy 10.1, which is pretty cumbersome, but workable for accomplishing the same thing. I appreciate that the Galaxy supports some RSS widgets. I wish the iPad would do the same.

• Members

I stopped using igoogle a couple years ago. interestingly enough this was around the time i switched to chrome. The only browser I know of (haven't tried any updates recently) where an empty tab is actually useful.

While I found igoogle useful for a time, much of the content I had in it got really bad. It seemed news updates and feeds were not kept up well by their creators. Google didn't have directy control so they might feel it reflected poorly on them. Maybe in the day of social media, mobile, and webapps igoogle has become less used than in the past. I think they are going to roll out something similar/better that integrates with google+. Google+ isn't killing off facebook, but if you look at their strategy so far I don't think it needs to.

Anyway it will still be around for more than a year... so there's time to find something else.

My big gripe about google is picasa. Early versions were kind of useful if you used more than one computer. The newer version seem to get worse and worse.

• Members

While I found igoogle useful for a time, much of the content I had in it got really bad. It seemed news updates and feeds were not kept up well by their creators. Google didn't have directy control so they might feel it reflected poorly on them.

Interesting. I didn't have many third-party gadgets installed. Most of my gadgets were customized RSS feeds from Google News. The few third party gadgets I did use were kept up quite well such as the Diigo hotlist and the iTunes free downloads. But yeah, I'm sure that developers became less interested in keeping up with the gadgets, hence the move to discontinue the service.

• Members

I like Yahoo's version better.

I still reluctantly use my Yahoo! email account from 13 years ago just because of convenience. Every time I catch the Yahoo! headlines, it's like f'in People magazine... gossip and the stars. Hate it. I keep hoping Yahoo! will have a renaissance and become relevant again, but they are currently far gone. Even Flickr is Flickin' mess. Horrible company.

I can't speak for the hockey coverage though :idk:

• Members

I still reluctantly use my Yahoo! email account from 13 years ago just because of convenience. Every time I catch the Yahoo! headlines, it's like f'in People magazine... gossip and the stars. Hate it. I keep hoping Yahoo! will have a renaissance and become relevant again, but they are currently far gone. Even Flickr is Flickin' mess. Horrible company.

I can't speak for the hockey coverage though
:idk:

That's basically how i feel about yahoo, although I did like their Yahoo! sports for checking up on NBA stuff... Although they changed the format in the last couple days and following other web trends they basically have less information taking up more space.... and a {censored}ing twitter feed. Twitter feeds can be cool, but keep them small.

So basically the last thing I really liked about Yahoo! seems to be gone.

I am 38 years old (OLD) and started using the internet in 1992. I still have a bit of nostalgia for Yahoo!, but not enough to actually use it as a home page.

• Members

I can't speak for the hockey coverage though
:idk:

Today on my Yahoo page, there was a headline about a man paying his final mortgage payment with 620,000 pennies.

So stupid, yet I clicked it. :lol: I don't care about real news. Give me hockey and {censored} about people paying with pennies and I'm set. OH, and I like those "WHO WORE IT BEST??" polls. I always click that {censored}. :(

Archived